Monday, November 26, 2007

Battle Report: Twins of Khorne vs Empire

I ran into an Empire player the other day and we played a 1500 point battle.

My army was:
Exalted hero of khorne gaze of gods, Sword of might, on chaos steed
Exalted hero of khorne rending blade, enchanted shield on chaos

5 chaos knights of khorne, standard, mus, warbanner
5 chaos knights of khorne, standard, mus
5 chaos marauder horsemen, flails, throwing axes, mus
5 chaos marauder horsemen, flails, throwing axes, mus

6 centigors, spears, throw axes, shields, mus
6 centigors, spears, throw axes, shields, mus

5 DoW fast cav, bows shields, mus

His list:
Priest on horseback, 2+ armor save
2 lvl 2 mages rod of power

6 knights, Inner circle, mus, banner, warbanner, priest in here
5 knights
5 knights
10 handgunners both mages in here
10 crossbowmen
5 outriders
cannon
and of a course a Steam Tank

Here was a picture of the setup:


Turn 1, moves his handgunners up. Stank gens 4 steam and moves up.
Priest casts immune to psych on his unit. let it go. Casts Dark hand at my horsemen on generals right, dispel. Cast again, he kills 3. I make panic test.
Xbowmen then kill 2 horsemen on generals left, they fail panic, roll 17" and are off the board.
Cannon missed.

Great, they were supposed to get in the stanks way.

Here is the field after his turn 1:


My turn 1:DoW fast cav move as fast as they can to get in Stanks way, but don't do a very good job.
Everyone else moves up. Centigors, never fail a drunk test except 1, so if I don't mention it, we passed.
Shoot bows at handgunners and kill 1.



Empire Turn 2:
Stank gens 5 points, passes, and charges generals unit in the flank. Ouch, I'm waiting for him to measure but he never does, just moves it. I mention and he puts the ruler there and says, see I got it. Its all in cm's so I have no idea, but it looked like it was much closer than he made it out to be.

Magic kills 1 of the 2 horsemen, but he makes panic test. So handgunners kill him.
Crossbowmen kill 2 of the DoW fast cav, who fail panic and flee.
Outriders shoot at far right centigors and kill 3, but they pass their panic test.
Cannon kills one of the knights in the far left chaos knight unit.
Stank just mows down chaos knights with general, leaving the general alone. He fails his insane courage and runs a long way.



Chaos Turn 2: Things are definitely not looking good.
I charge 5 knights with 3 centigors. If I can kill 1, I win combat as he does not have a musician.
4 knights with hero on left charge baiting knights, who flee and run off the board. But my 7" move keeps me out of range of his IC knights. Sweet.

My general rallies, my DoW fast cav rally. My last centigors, move 16" through the woods and right to the flank of the handgunners.
in combat the centigors whiff, knights whiff, I lose by 1, break and am run down.



Empire Turn 3: He is loving this.
Stank 4 points into general, oh, but he is just short. Sweet.
he turns his knights around to charge my general. The ones that just overran the centigors.

dark hand at centigors, dispel. Again, I have to let it go as he rolls a 13. he kills none!!! sweet.

Shooting: crossbowmen kill 2 DoW fast cav, last one panics and runs off the board.
hand gunners shoot at general, 1 wound I save.
He moved 1 wizard in front of the handgunners, and the other behind them. Not sure why.
Cannon hits 2nd hero, and without a look out sir, is killed.



Chaos Turn 3: Centigors into flank of handgunners who hold. (???) not sure why.
General into wizard who ran out into the middle. He flees and is cut down by the centigors. General fails his charge.
Knights just turn to face IC knights but stay out of their charge range.

Centigors kill 3, break them and pursue 12" right into the flank of the crossbowmen. 2nd wizard panics and runs off the board.



Empire Turn 4: 5 knights into general's rear. Ouch. I think about it a long time and hold. He is 1 cm out. Wow!! so failed charge. Stank does 4 points turns and shoots at general with steam and handgun. Fails to do anything.
He moves his outriders closer to the middle but afraid of my general stays behind the woods.

And here I dont' understand, moves his IC knights up right in my chaos knights face, forcing me to charge.

Cannon fails to wound.
In combat I kill 2 of the crossbowmen, who fail their break are caught and with my 10" move I'm right behind the IC knights. About that time the cursing breaks out.



Chaos Turn 4: Knights into front of IC knights, centigors into rear.
general moves into the woods and turns to face 5 knight unit.

In combat I kill 2 knights, he kills 2 centigors, I win by 2 and he breaks and gets away, but we were angled and he ran off the table. Knights chase him off, centigors don't make it off.



Empire Turn 5: Tries to get 5 steam points, rolls the 6 and takes a wound.
5 knights charge general, who holds.
cannon kills 1 centigor who do not panic.

in combat the knights whiff. The general does only a single wound and he saves it. I lose by 1, break and just get away.



Chaos Turn 5: Centigors turn around and move up towards cannon.
Knights come back on but cannot do anything so move to capture table quarter and keep front arc to cannon.
General rallies and faces knights again.



Empire Turn 6: knights charge general. Stank gens 4 points, rolls another 6 and ends up with 2 wounds on it.
Cannon kills a knight.
Outriders shoot at centigors, but are just out of range. Sweet.

In combat, knights whiff, general does 3 wounds. with a 4+ save, he makes 2 and its a tie. Damn.



Chaos Turn 6: Centigors go frenzy. Charge cannon who flee?? I kill the cannon.

In the generals combat I go first and again cause 3 wounds, and 1 from my horse. He makes all 4 saves!?!? Damn. He does a wound but I save easily.

I lose by 1, and needing a 7 not to break, I get it!!! Sweet.

he has 2 table quarters (can the Stank claim one?) And I had 1 plus his general. We both captured a standard.



When it was done he was up by about 120 vp.

So a draw.

In turn 3 I was about ready to concede, the centigors going nuts through the middle of his field and his dice going cold and then the bonehead move of moving the IC knights up, let me pull it to a draw.

Good game, and it showed me this all cav army has a lot more resilience than I gave it credit for.

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home