Thursday, November 15, 2007

Murder She Wrote Syndrome

I was going to write my weekly review of my fav TV shows. But I can't say anything new other than what I usually write. There are 3 really great shows on and I watch them, Heroes, Chuck and Pushing Daisies. All 3 are extremely good, original and make me look forward to TV for 3 hours a week.

So you might be asking, what the hell does that have to do with Murder She Wrote?

Something happened in Chuck that reminded me of Murder She Wrote. Don't get me wrong, I was never a fan of MSW. I watched maybe a half dozen episodes, but my wife liked it. And one of the reasons I never liked it was the way she would stumble onto a murder scene wherever she went. Go the theater, murder. Go on a trip out of town, murder. Get stuck in a traffic accident, murder. Death followed, or maybe I should say she followed Death everywhere it went.

I hate it when shows try to come up with these creative ways to get involved in things other than a normal person would. Example. I've been on this Earth, already for a large number of years. And never in all my years have I ever witnessed, been a part of, or even gone to an event, where a murder actually takes place.
In the Navy, I actually heard about one several days after they found the body, and they ruled it a suicide, when it obviously wasn't. So I guess my Angela Ladsbury side could have jumped to the rescue.

But even if you double all of my instances of 1, you get 2. Not 100+ like some shows do it.

In Chuck, it was kind of a double whammy this week. As he and his sister left a restaurant, they not only stumbled across the guy dieing from poison (ie, murder victim) he also was a top secret really bad guy that Chuck flashed on.

Now this all could have been arranged much cleaner with a simple phone call, saying the guy is nearby and wanting to turn himself in, yadda, yadda, yadda. Instead the writers want you to believe they just happened upon him. Ok, I'll give them one.

Now Chuck gets a little easier time in my opinion, as he could flash on anyone walking down the street, that we would totally ignore.

But this is twice in 3 weeks that they have done this. Two weeks ago Chuck flashes on the guy playing video games with his best friend. Not just some other guy who happens to be nearby. But the one in a bet with his friend. And now this.

I hate writers who feel like they have to shove characters into these kinds of things. Get a little imagination and try not to have your characters fall face first into the crime scene every damn week.

Give me a break. What pet peeves do you have about script writers?

Until next time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea, real life gets all twisted up when it comes to TV. anyone that has served in the military has a hard time with war movies...cops have a hard time with cop shows. the suspension of realism definitely has to come into play. it is easier with a sci-fi show like heroes. a show that's plot is fantastic. when it comes to realism, most shows fall well short. CSI irks me, as they solve every damn crime within the alloted hour. mostly by getting some trace evidence, dangling it in front of a suspect who then breaks down and confesses. whatever.

movies are just as bad, but i suppose that is why i favor either documentaries for modern or historical shows and sci fi.

i never watched MSW. i kind of thought it laughable. sort of like the Equalizer. please. some old fart gets hopped up on geritol and kicks criminals asses. and he isnt even a cop. he carries a gun everywhere...shoots people...and there are no questions???

even when tv cops get in a shooting or on a movie, crappy that they just wrap it up so neatly. crap, that is only the beginning. time to start the paperwork, call your attorney, get arraigned by the grand jury. that just doesnt make for good tv.

shaun

6:54 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I hear you Shaun. Which is why I don't watch many of those shows. We use to watch Law and Order, but I always thought it was screwed up how they always solved every case, but I was glad to see they didn't always convict the guys. Sometimes they lost.

Now the only one we watch is NCIS, the Navy cop show. Again, they always get their guy in the hour alloted. But I watch that one more for the characters. Very good depth to each character in the show.

I did hear of one show, maybe it was called The Line or The Blue Line or something like that. In the first episode they didn't solve the case. And now 2-3 years later it still isn't solved. I've heard cops say it is very realistic to how life really is for police. I've never actually seen it, but I've heard it is good. Maybe an HBO show.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home