Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Pennies for the Poor

How sorry is this?

The company I work for is a small R&D group that when I started had a dozen people. Now we are up to double that. It has been a tough year profit wise as we expanded our building, hired new people and are trying to catch up with the demand of our product.

Our parent company is a very large manufacturing business in upstate NY. It does a pretty steady business. They hold 2-3 very large company parties and picnics each year. We don't do anything like that down here except for our once a year Christmas dinner.

So this year, they announced our annual Christmas dinner. But oh yea, meals will not be complimentary.

HUH!!??

So after I spend 40-60 hours a week with my co-workers all year long, I'm supposed to take a Sunday evening/day, as it starts at 4PM, and go to a dinner with my co-workers and my wife at a very upscale restaurant, and I have to pay for it myself.

Why the HELL would I want to do this?? If I want to take my wife out for dinner, I'll just take her. If I want to drop $60-$80 for a meal, I'll do that. But as my company Christmas party?? Are you fucking out of your head???

Its not that I don't enjoy spending time with some of these guys, I do. But give me a break? I spend enough time with them, why the hell should I blow my whole Sunday to spend with them as well when all I get out of it, is the joy of their company, that I get every day of the damn year.

To me this is the epitome of cheap and is a slap in the face to those of us who work for this company.

Until next time...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good night to have a prior commitment or church Christmas function.

"Any large corporation is like the neighbor's dog, you never know when it will turn and bite you."
--wish I could find who said it.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home