Monday, January 15, 2007

Sci-Fi Movie Grendal

I watched the Sci-Fi movie Grendal Saturday night.

Now I have watched many of the Sci-Fi Saturday night made for TV movies and most of them are grade B bad movies. Very poor stories, very bad special affects, very bad acting, etc...

Grendal is of course based on the story of Beo-wolf written years ago. The story is a bit on the simple side, but the special affects were not horrible.

The monsters (3 of them) Grendal, Hag and a serpant at the beginning, they were not afraid to show and had some neat features to all of them.

Grendal looked really pretty good with the tail like appendages coming out of his arms. You could still tell it was Computer generation, and I wish they had done a bit more with colors, overall I still give it a thumbs up.

And that was a monster to be dealt with. A whole host of fighters were attacking it, and Grendal just hacked them down 1 by 1, beating off half a dozen men and killing 1.

When he was finally slain and the Hag came to take her revenge she was pretty awesome as well.

My biggest complaint was at the end. There was a sword that could slay the hag, hidden in her cave. Sorry, but if I'm the monster and I'm holding the 1 sword that can slay me, I burying it under the ground I sleep in. Or putting it up in a very small cubby hole, that no man can get to.
Nope, lets put it in a special display holder at the entrance of the cave?? Who the hell put this thing there??
That was my biggest complaint. But I did like the movie. If you get a chance, check it out, I'm sure Sci-Fi will replay it again.

One thing I liked best when watching it was not the movie, but the lead in to the commercial breaks. They did these "how to survive monsters" hints.
So it would come on and say, hint number 37. If the footprint of the monster you are fighting is bigger than your house, don't hide in your house.

My favorite might have been. If you can see flesh stuck in the teeth of the monster, you are waaayyy too close.

Enjoy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool, i miss cable.

I'm still waiting to hear more about a made for Sci-fi series based on the Dresden Files series of books by Jim Butcher. I highly reccomend the books, and hopefully you'll see the show

6:18 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I saw a ton of commercials for it while watchine Grendal. Well actually didn't watch them all, we had recorded it, so we could skip through commercials. But we did spot them and slowed it down to watch 1 or 2.

Commercials were really vague, but I am definetely planning on catching the first couple to see how they go.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home