Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Last BR recap

After the game, its sometimes easy to see how you could have won. If only you had done this or that.

First let me just say, this was a great battle, and I had a great time. While playing Greg wasn't that pleasent in our first meeting, since then I've had 3 great games with him that I've enjoyed immensly.

And while his belly may not be hiddeous its definetely disturbing. ;-) (just kidding Greg).

Now onto things I could have done differently that may or may not have changed the outcome of the game.

Deployment:
I probably should have put the herd that went in the woods over by Ratspawn. The extra Ld 9 would have kept them on the board and their multitude of attacks could have been a great help against the slayers. I could have then used the 2nd Minotaur unit to help Ratspawn dance with the Iron breakers.

I'm not sure what I should have done with the cannon on the far flank. A couple suggestions:
1. Don't change anything. The furies should have been able to handle the job and just failed, that happens sometimes.
2. Put a herd over there. I'm tying up a lot of points on 1 cannon by doing that. And with a move of 10, they are charging on turn 3 and without fear, they have to kill them all. So that would have been it for them. They would not have gotten back into the game. But they could have removed that threat that ended up killing both chariots.
3. Put a Mino unit over there. Seems like a waste of points.
4. Send some hounds with help from the furies. The hounds give you US so at least your winning combats probably. While the furies give you str 4 attacks. If both were going he couldn't stop both of them.

So looking back, I'd probably put the herd on the far right by Ratspawn and a unit of hounds over with the furies.

Things in the game I could have done differently.
1. Probably the biggest #1 thing would have been to not charge Ratspawn into the IBs. Even with the hounds breaking their ranks, odds were I'd only win by a couple. I need better odds before throwing Ratspawn into the fray. Maybe a chariot coming in with them, or Mino's on the flank.

2. In turn 4 when the Rat Ogres charged the Organ gun, I should have done that combat first and used hand weapons. Odds are I only kill 2, the last one auto-breaks and I Overrun into the crossbows in combat with the spawn.
I then kill lots of crossbows, they break and the spawn chases them down.
Then on turn 5, I can charge the Anvil with both the Rat Ogres and the chariot. And even if he slows the chariot down I'd have 4 rounds of combat to do that last wound instead of 3.

3. When the chariot hit the organ crew, and killed them all, instead of staying there they should have overrun off the table. He would have still had a turn 6 shot at it, but I left him 3 units lined up on turn 5. That was just silly.

4. In turn 4 when the furies charged the cannon, what I probably should have done was plop them down right in front of the cannon to block its line of sight everywhere on the field. They would then have to shoot them instead of anyone else.

5. In the last turn, hold with the Rat Ogres and hope for a insane courage. Also possible he whiffs and I could direct attacks on the BSB with hopes of wounding or killing him for a few points.

Well, those were my kernels of wisdom I learned. Any other suggestions of things I might have done differently in the game that might have turned it.

Things that kept him from winning. The Dwarfs were very close to winning this game. If he makes both saving throws on the last turn, he wins. If the Rat Ogres fail their re-roll on the panic test in the last turn, I lose. If his cannon shot had been 2" less and he wounded the spawn he hit with the cannon, he wins.

There were several spots in the game where just a couple of rolls could have given the Stunties the day.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your deployment of the herds was correct. I suspect having something able to get through that forest was important. Moving the middle herd elsewhere would have left a hole in the middle of your army.

No reconsideration of your pair of shamans? That's ~250 pts that did nothing for you, and weren't likely to do anything against his dispel power. Or are you partially locked into your army build for the league?

1:42 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

No, I'm not locked in, but it is pretty close to the army I'm taking to the GT in March. So figured, I have a good chance to run into a Dwarf army, so I'm keeping the build the same.
I did swap out my D.scrolls for power stones, but that was all.

Actually, I may be wrong. I might have gotten a spell off. But id did nothing.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home