Friday, May 23, 2008

Run Rat Run!!

Last night I remembered why I loved playing Skaven in Blood Bowl.

After a series of ties and losses, I went back to the basics and started another rookie Skaven team. It didn't take long for an undead player to challenge me. They just love to play Skaven.

I accpeted the challenge and we lined up. I got the ball first, but after doing a bit of running around, my thrower promptly dropped the ball when he tried to pick it up.
DOH!!

He of course beat up a couple guys and surrounded the ball.
I did a good job of knocking a couple his guys away from the ball, ran in with a gutter runner, picked it up, ran out, passed it to another runner, who took it to the end zone.

I then kicked it off to him, and was able to blitz. I had my guys all around the ball, only to see it take bad bounce after bad bounce, landing in his guys hands and away from me.
I did manage to knock it out of his hands but was unable to pick it up myself. Then on turn 7, I had 2 guys on him forcing him to block with his guy, or dodge to get away. I forgot he had frenzy and used that to prevent a dodge, and ran down field, and got a turn 8 TD.

I kicked off to him in the 2nd half and pinned him deep. But his fans, sensing my teams greater skill and speed, tied up the ref, freeing up his team to foul away. I was already short about 4 players, and so I couldn't actually risk having one of my guys thrown out.

He fouls and another player out. He then has a bad block and I rush several players down the field. A couple turns later, I knock the ball out of the werewolfs paws, a runner grabs it and scoots into the endzone for a 2-1 lead.

Another deep kick and he goes back to pick it up. He is now short of time and I have the lead. He continues to foul every turn and I'm down to about 5 players on the field. I get a double 1's on a dodge with my first player and lose my turn basically.
He moves the ball up, fouls again.
I then roll double skulls with my first player and lose another turn. I think, ok, another tie.

He moves the ball up some more, but is still 1 square from being able to put it in the endzone.

Next turn, dice turn around, and I'm able to run 4 of my 5 players out in front of the ball carrier, scattered around. My 5th player stands up, but is in the middle of a mess of his guys.

I figure he will plow the road with his superior numbers and push the ball carrier down the sideline. Instead he runs him into the middle of the field, but does have him close enough to make the TD with a 'go for it'.

I work it out in my head and can get a single dice blitz on him, as he stopped his werewolf right by my guy, who is now prone, in the middle of his guys. I had to run a couple players through some mess to tie up any assists, and then I blitz and get the POW!! Werewolf down and the ball bounces backwards towards midfield and behind the lines!!

His turn 8 he pushes some players forward with some really smooth blocking schemes. He gets a wight to within scoring range. But it will still require the werewolf, to get up, dodge, pick up the ball, throw it and catch it. Then run it in for the TD.

Well the werewolf failed the dodge, and I took my win to the bank.
No player was seriously injured and I won a hefty $90K purse to bring in another backup player.

Sweet, sweet win.

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home