Sunday, March 02, 2008

WOW!!! GT Best Overall!!!

It has been almost 4 years since my first GT Best Overall. Today I got my 2nd. They are precious things, that only a few players have more than 1. But it seems like every 4 years, the stars and planet align and I walk away with one of the big boys.

In 1999 I got Best General at the Direwolf GT.
In 2004 I got Best Overall at the Dallas Battle for the Lone Star GT
And now in 2008, the Lonewolf GT.

This is by far the best, most quality loaded GT I have ever done this well in. Really big name players were up and down the tables. I couldn't turn around without running into a GT vet with a Best General or Overall award to their name. With 86 (yea, 86!!) players it was a very tough row to how.

I'm not sure of my final scores on anything. As soon as they gave me the awards, I beat feet for the door before they realized their mistake. I had hopes, but was really expecting a 2nd or 3rd General or Overall. When they went through the Best general awards, and then had called out the 3rd best general, I was sitting on pins and needles. I knew there was one other player who had not received an award yet who had one more battle point than I did. So I was silently praying they called out his name for 2nd overall.

Then they announced 2nd overall and it was neither me nor him. I was a bit stunned. Only one award left and 2 of us with really top battle scores empty handed. My friend looked over and said congrats. I quickly told him to hold off. I wasn't so certain.

Then it came, best overall. Me. I was stunned, happy, thrilled, all the above. Hours and hours of work, assembling, cleaning, converting, painting and playing an army. It starts out as a small seed of an idea. In this case, extra models I had laying around. And with very minor tweaks, this army was built straight up from that. About the only big change I had was to drop a pretty useless hero and a massive sword for my general to add in a 3rd wizard. Which in most games came in very handy. But the models themselves didn't change.

My Ratspawn the Reincarnated army was a labor of love. It is the first real army I lay out and am proud of. It never won any painting or players choice awards, but it did come close several times.
It has won me the following awards:
3rd Best General, Lone Wolf GT 2007
3rd place MAWL League 2006
1st Place MAWL League 2007
Best Overall Desert Classic 2007
Best Overall Lone Wolf GT 2008

And 3, top 10 finishes out of 3 GT's. That is a big feat right there.

I am going to bring it to Memphis in the Hillbilly in July, and then it will be packed away into retirement, at least for a while. I am almost sad that my run with Ratspawn is coming to an end.

I'll try and do some full battle reports later and a review of all my scores once they are posted.

So, until next time... This is one very happy camper.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Grats!

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home