Thursday, March 20, 2008

Son is Home and new Joy

After 6 months in Iraq my son came home from Iraq on Saturday. We were at the airport to meet him and it was a real sight. About 30 or so people gathered for the home coming in this small town terminal. But it was all smiles and teary eyes.

This is not to say it went without incident. Friday at 5:30 my son calls and left a message saying he was in Baltimore. This was supposed to be our cue that he would be in town in about 5 hours. I didn't get home till 6 and my wife was running around like the house was on fire. She had already packed a bag and wanted to know what I wanted to bring.

I quickly make a hotel reservation, finish packing, load the car and were ready to back out by 7PM. Flight was supposed to land at 10 PM, and it is a 3 hour drive there from our house. When something occurred to me.

You know I don't think they would have time to catch the connection into DFW to make it home tonight.
So Marilyn suggests, why don't we try calling the caller ID number.
We do and its my son's air force buddy. He tells us, no, they are in Baltimore and will be coming in tomorrow.

Well we were relieved we didn't have to drive 3 hours tonight and drop an extra $100. I quickly call the hotel and cancel the reservation. They do it even though its after 6 PM as it has been less than an hour since I made it. Tim is really upset as he wanted to see his brother. So we have to take him out to eat dinner.

And when we get to our hotel on Saturday the hotel manager was just out of the service and gave us a huge discount (read as 35% off) our room. WOW!!
We had a great visit with our son and made it home Sunday.

Yesterday I drove back down and got him, so he is home with us now through Easter.

My son has always had an interest in the game Blood Bowl. And with their being a blood bowl tournament at the Hillbilly this year, I figure now is a good time to get back into it.
I've downloaded the latest rules and read them, and signed up to an online forum that allows you to play over the internet. Got in my first game Tuesday night with a very good Dark Elf player who helped me through the steps of using the online game.

I did pretty well after I fell behind 1-0. I managed to even take the lead 2-1 but gave up a last turn touchdown to get a tie 2-2. It was then that I found out my team had a major flaw. Nothing to do with the team, but the league stuff. I didn't give myself enough fans, and didn't make much money. As it turns out the online game still plays 4th edition, which is very unforgiving to players with low fan factor.

So I had to scrap the team and rebuild it and I upped my fans from 3 to 8. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

It is a Skaven team (what else) with 3 gutter runners, 2 storm vermin and 6 linemen. It is built strictly for speed.

As a change of pace I am looking at a chaos dwarf team as well with 2 bull centaurs, a few chaos dwarfs and some cheap hobgoblins. This would be my bruiser team.

I'm looking forward to playing a lot more and hoping to have a good time.

Until next time...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I'm not the first to say "Thanks" to your son for defending our country, greatly appreciate it.

Bloodbowl...I've wondered about that game, might have to try it.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home