Thursday, March 13, 2008

GT critique, a look back

I know its been a while since I posted last, but you know how real life can be.

And I wanted to wait a bit before posting a critique of myself from the GT.
When you win overall, its easy to say Wow, good enough, but I think there is always room for improvement.

So if you look at my overall score I got a 223.
Sports: 64, Battle: 83, Appearance: 66, JR: 10

First my projections:
Sports: 65, I got a 64. I was hoping to draw the fav player vote from one of my opponents but failed to get any. You can't control it, so you do what you can.
I got a 64 last year, and a 61 the year before. (1 bad game, 1 fav game). At least I went 2 straight years without a bad game vote.

Appearance: 70, I got a 66. Last years was a 65 and all I changed was putting my heroes up on a hill. But that 1 point was enough. I knew 70 was really stretching it. But last year they seem to have given out more 70s. I know the judge changed up his score sheet some. The top army went from 77 to a 73. Heck even Jim Bailey only got a 70. So I will not complain about a 66. Probably about right.

JR: 10, got 10. good. No one scored more or less than 10.

Battle: 88, I got an 83. Last year I got a 78. So an improvement of 5 points. The highest anyone got was an 84. I did throw that 1 objective away after it was handed to me. That cost me the 4 points that would have put me to 87. But those 4 extra points in round 3 would have left me with different round 4 and 5 opponents. So I may not have gotten the 20 and then 19 I did for those last 2 rounds.
Everything worked out great. But I really needed to hold onto those 4 points.
In game 1 I also only had to kill the Tomb Prince, and I had my chance. I do that, and I win the game and get the objective. But then the entire next 4 rounds are different.
Now in round 5, I forgot to overrun my shaman in turn 5 that would have taken him off the board and to safety. So I should have gotten the full 20. Leaving me at 84 out of the 88 projected.

Overall. 2 years ago I got 10th, last year 7th and this year 1st. So I am of course extremely pleased with my outcome. But these same scores last year would have only gotten me 2nd best general, as I'd lose in the 3 way tie for 2nd/3rd overall and end up in 5th overall instead of 7th. But with painting going down a bit, may explain it.

Things I could have done better:
Game 1: played more aggressive. I sat back way too long. Been smarter attacking the Tomb Prince. With just a hair bit of forethought, I could have killed him, gotten the win and the objective. So cost me 12 points there.

Game 2: I cleaned the table of wood elves, so I'm pretty happy with that game.

Game 3: I played this game pretty well. I fled with some dogs that I shouldn't have. And then when I had the game won and the objective in hand I threw my ranger into combat where I knew he had a good chance to die.
Cost me 4 points there.

Game 4: I baited the khorne knights badly. Should have gotten the flank charge on them, instead it became a front charge that helped him. Other than that I don't think I did anything wrong. David almost won the game if I had broken when I lost by 3. But to be honest I shouldn't have lost that combat to begin with. So the dice gods just averaged things out is all.

Game 5. John just totally outplayed me. I set up bad, I played badly, I rolled poorly and when John had the win in hand, he snatched defeat out of the very jaws of Victory. I ended up with the win, that had I been thinking would have been 20 instead of 19. But that is sometimes how games go. In particular, I should have split my 2 herds up to keep his 2 daemons from going after both together.

Anyway, there are no complaints here. Ratspawn and company did what I haven't been able to do for some time. I'll be using the same army in the Hillbilly come July for his farewell tour. Then I'll be retiring Ratspawn. At least for a couple years.

Until next time...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the Lonewolf, Ben it was good to see you win.

Andy H.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home