Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Blood Bowl

This is my latest hobby that I am really enjoying. I have found a site on line to play. http://fumbbl.com/

I can go there, build any team I want to and play whenever I like. The program is very interactive and friendly to use. There are literally hundreds of players signed up and dozens to play at any time.

I'm still a bit new to the game, so am still learning all the neat concepts, tactics and rules. But I'm having a good time with it.

For those who don't know what blood bowl is, let me try and sum it up. It is a board game to play football/rugby with fantasy creatures found in the warhammer world. The rules and game are produced by Games Workshop who also produces the miniatures for them.

I started a Skaven team, what else, and have actually done really well with it. My first team, I ended up with a draw, but had made the mistake of not buying myself enough fans to start with. Didn't realize until later that you may not buy more fans, you have to earn them. So ended up scrapping that team and creating a new skaven team with a fan factor of 8 and is now up to 10. I am now 5-1 with this team. The only loss coming to a Kemri team that just plain beat the crap out of my team. I had no one who could stand up to their 4 strength 5 mummies. At one point in the 2nd half after his 2nd score, he put 11 players on the field and I only had 4. I had started with around 13, so had had 9 knocked out of the game and unable to return.

Since then I purchased a Rat Ogre to add to the team to give it some more muscle. I also got dauntless for one of my gutter runners. This allows him to match strength for strength with anyone on the field. Add in a storm vermin with guard and I'm feeling ok about my chances now.

Was playing an Orc player last night and was matching him bash for bash. And into the 2nd half I still had players sitting in reserves. Usually by that time, I'm down to 8 or 9 players and that is when I really start to feel the pain coming and start taking serious injuries. Unfortunately, I was in the lead 1-0 and the socket connection dropped out. We tried all 5 servers at that point and I could not connect with any of them.

He had the ball and was driving, and because of a blunder, I didn't think I could stop him. But he still had half the length of the field to go. So I still had a pretty decent chance of stopping him or depending on time, getting the ball back with enough time to score again.

My 2nd team is a chaos dwarf team. This thing has been a disaster since I started it. Its actually rated worse now than when I started it. I have had 2 players killed a chaos dwarf and my minotaur. I am 0-2 with it, and am getting very frustrated with it. Though in the last game, I had a great chance to stop him from scoring in the 2nd half to take the 2-1 lead, but he makes an agility 2 dodge and ties up my bull centaur to prevent me from doing it.

So now my plan is to scrap the team and start over. Otherwise my next game I'm playing with just 9 players as 2 more are sidelined with injuries. Its just not worth it and time to move forward with a restart. I think I'll start with my Chaos dwarfs, and more re-rolls.

I'll keep you updated on my teams.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still reading up on Blood bowl, was intimidated the first time I saw it, with my lack of knowledge of football I thought I'd be hopeless but the local league has seen me eyeing it and has tried to recruit. A place to practice online and without investing in models sounds great!

9:20 AM  
Blogger alex b. said...

Sounds like fun. It reminds me of the old EA game for the Genesis, Mutant League Football. That game was a blast.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home