Friday, March 30, 2007

BR: Beasts vs Orcs & Goblins

So the magic heavy, double giant army setup across from me. Here were the deployments:

Mine first:


From the bottom to the top:
3 Rat Ogres / Minotaurs
5 Giant Rats / Chaos hounds
4 Rat Ogres
Beast herd with Setrad
Chariot
6 Giant Rats
Ratspawn and body guard
Failed Rat ogre spawn
Herd with other shaman and wargor
Furies behind them
5 Giant Rats
Chariot
Failed Rat Ogre spawn
3 Rat Ogres
4 Rat Ogres

So everything packed in around Ratspawn and Rat Ogres on the flank.

His deployment:


As you can see another famous member of the unpainted legions. ;-)
From bottom to top:
10 Arrer Boyz with Lvl 2 shaman
giant
3 snotling bases
wolf riders behind them,
arrer boyz with shaman lvl 2 behind them
Giant
20 goblins, with 3 fanatics and goblin shaman
Rock lobba behind that
Squig herders
10 arrer boyz with lvl 4 behind them.
20 goblins with 3 fanatics
Rock lobba
chariot
5 wolf riders
chariot
5 wolf riders.

Turn 1a: Get 'em boyz
The only animosity was the Lvl 4s unit who moved up and stopped when they hit the squig herders. Then everything but the arrer boyz and rock lobbas moved up. The wolves held back but everthing else went pretty much full speed, stopping outside my 12" charge range with his giants.

Magic phase: He is pulling out his dice, And getting ready to cast spells. He casts foot of gork so I dispel it.
Then he reailzes everyone is pretty much out of range to cast anything else. But if he gets Waaagh off everyone will be in range. Ding, Ding, Ding!!! David was right.

So with 4 dice he throws a mighty 15 with the Waaagh! spell. I look at everything and don't like the way it looked so let it go. Everything moves up 2d6". Warmachine crews, giants, chariots, etc.. It was a disaster.

Then with all of his magic, he manages to only kill off 1 ungor. I scroll his hand of gork to move his giant into combat. Shooting kills nothing.
1 of his warmachine crew ran 12", which means he would need 2 turns to run back to them. So he couldn't shoot it till turn 4. Turn 3 for the other one.
He immediately regreted throwing the spell.

Turn 1b: CHARGE!!!
From bottom/right flank. 3 Rat Ogres into giant. Failed my fear test, but on the re-roll, I got a 8. He didn't use his bound spell. If he had and I had failed to dispel it, I would have failed this charge.

Chariot into snotling bases, hounds in front of ratspawn into snotlings.
Ratspawn and body guard into the Giant.
He was thinking I couldn't do this because no LOS, he forgot, everyone can see big guys.
Herd on left into squig hoppers.
Chariot and hounds into flank of goblins on hill.
3 Rat Ogres into front of goblins on hill.
4 Rat Ogres into chariot that had moved up 11".

His chariot flees but everything else holds.
Ratspawn and company easily make their fear test.
His goblins on the hill fail his, so need 6's to hit.
My herd in front of the house wants to enter the house, quickly fails its unruly check. The giant Ratpsawn is charging is closest, but still 12" away, so no charge.
Everytime I have ever wanted to enter a house with a herd, I fail their stupid check.

Then the spawns move: Up a couple inches and out pops 3 fanatics. All 3 heading to protect the snotling bases, but with their 6, 4 and 2" moves, they are not protecting much.
The spawn was heading towards the squigs but its big 7" move on 3d6 falls short.
The other spawn moves up 2" and out pops the fanatics from the group on the hill.
2 head towards the 3 Rat Ogres, one hit and went through and the other stopped in between. I moved them up, and he does 12 hits from the 2 fanatics. 9 wounds, takes them out completely. Not looking good.
The other moves 3" to the flank where the chariot and hounds are coming from.

the spawn is moving also towards the squigs, but its big 6" move clogs up everything.

Charges:
The 3 barely make it to the giant but make it.
The chariot can squeeze between the house and the fanatic and hits the snotlings with no problem.
The hounds charge up and end up hitting all 3 fanatics and are wiped out to a hound.
Ratspawn now has a clean charge lane to the giant in his area.
The herd makes their charge easily.
The hounds going for the goblins flanks hit the spawn and stop.
The chariot can squeeze by, hits the corner of the goblins but when it aligns itself it stops on top of the fanatic. 5 wounds later on 2d6 hits, and the chariot is gone.

My herd runs top speed and lands on a fanatic and losses all its ungors. But the fanatic is destroyed. Now we just have 2 right in front of us.

In the magic phase, my shaman in combat cannot use Dark hand so he tries to make the furies cause terror. I roll a 15, so out comes a dispel scroll.

Since I now have the Rune Herd stone as my 3 Rat Ogres are closer to it than his giant, I have 4 more power dice. So I'm thinking 2 dice on each of crows feast and beast cower.

So 2 dice for crows feast to blast one of the fanatics in front of me. I roll double 1's and then roll 10 on the magic chart. So str 8 hit which wounds, I'm now level 1 and lost my crows feast spell. That Suxs.
Then 2 dice to cast beast cower on his giant facing Ratspawn, just in case. And I roll a 5. Oh well, so much for magic.

Finally, Hand to hand.
I do the herd first and manage 6 wounds on the hapless squigs leaving on the handlers left. They break and run.

I then do the chariot which wipes out the 3 snotling bases on the charge and overruns.

I then do the 3 Rat Ogres on the giant. With 9 attacks I get 6 hits and then 5 wounds. He gets thump with club back, and I make my initiative test. The giant with 1 wound left lives.

Finally to Ratspawn. 3's to hit, 4's to wound. I get 3 hits and then 2 wounds. I did an extra 10 wounds from the Hellfire sword and the giant just exploded. (Even going with the 1d6 would have been enough to kill him. As I rolled a 4 and a 6).

At this point it was time for panic checks, but my opponent just conceded the game.

All his heavy hitters were dead, almost dead or fleeing except for 1 chariot that was not in charge range. His wolf riders were looking at Ld 5 fear tests and even if he made them, he didn't think they could do much to the minotaurs.

And all 4 of his wizards were in my sights for next turn charges.

Here was the pic at the end of the game:


Personally, I thought he conceded a bit early. We could have gone another turn to see if he could turn it around, but with the fanatics blown, his rock lobbas unable to shoot, and 1 for 2 more turns. Add in one giant dead, the other down to 1 wound, he would have to hope for scream and bawl and hope I broke. Even if I did, my 4 minotaurs were right behind them.

The writing was on the wall and he read it quickly. He tried something he had never tried before, didn't understand all the consequinces of what he was doing and really screwed himself over. He was in great position, the Waaagh!! was just not necessary.

He had a good plan of delay, shoot and magic. But then slipped back into that Orc aggresiveness they tend to have. A bad move.

My opponent was a great sport about it, he just hates it when he does stupid moves and we both agreed that one was bad. We have a rematch scheduled and I'm sure he will do better next time.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not yet read of an actual example of casting Waaagh! to great positive effect. Certainly the one (and only) time I cast it was extremely stupid. Definitely worse than this even.

I do consider his surrender too quick though. With his sheer numbers of units and quantity of magic, he doesn't need big hitters. Admittedly, the rock lobbas could be helpful, but he can potentially feed you goblins while blasting with magic and draw (or even win) keeping his characters alive.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Waaagh usually only becomes really useful when you're going against a shooty "house of cards" army like an empire gunline. It saves you a turn of getting shot and it really doesn't matter much what you charge because you'll likely run it down or hold for a turn.

It's also useful late game when you've got a bunch of units already locked in combat. Then you're striking first and rerolling failed hits, which suddenly makes it like the staff of damnation in the vampire counts. It's a tactical spell that has uses, but you have to be prepared to see your orcs go balls up if they fail charges or go in weird directions.

By the way, it also works on fanatics...nasty...

John Blair

Murfreesboro, TN

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home