Friday, March 23, 2007

Bayou Battles GT Final Thoughts

Well another GT down. It was my first for the 2007 year and I'm really only planning on attending the Lone Wolf GT in August this year to go with it.

I have to admit, it was one of the best times at a GT I have ever been to. The Giant Bash was a ton of fun. Getting to sit around and talk with friends like Rick, Jordan, Roy, Adam, Bryan, David, Jim, Lex, Jody, Jason, Mark, etc... The list just goes on and on. That is the best part of the GT scene. Playing cards Saturday was a lot of fun, even if the best hand I got was a Queen high.

Getting to play Isaac Friday night with his beautiful clown army was great. Getting to watch people fawn over my Rat beast army was more than I can describe.

I'm always happy with a 3-1-1 finish and thought I might have an outside shot at something, but it was not to be. I walked away completely empty handed. Not even a door prize. So that was a bit dissapointing. 3rd GT in a row my name hasn't been called. So maybe I'm just losing my edge.

But getting to see the results was a real lift.
6th place overall
3rd place best army
4th place players choice (was told by the judges)

With 69 players, this was a great finish. So I have to say my first GT run with Ratspawn was a good Success. The only thing that would have made it better was if they had actually handed out 1st through 3rd best army.
It was great to see so many of my friends take home awards. David Bowman, Jordan Braun and Rick Thompson for best generals. All 3 good friends. Jason Johnson and Jim Bailey for best overall. More good friends. Bryan Ching, Adam Clark, Roy Eggesperger, Isaac, Grejada. It was just a who's who of Southern US Warhammer goodness.

I learned a lot about how this army runs, what works and what doesn't. Hopefully, when it hits the ground running at the Lone wolf it will do even better.

Until then, I still have 1 more league game, then into the playoffs, as I've now clinched a spot in my League Playoffs. I pulled 3rd place with this army last year. Hopefully I can make it to the finals top table this year. Its a 30 player league this year so nothing to take lightly.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a spectacular weekend all around, if even it was not prize laden. As a still beginning player, I am still shooting for a record like that.

Someday if you have time, I'd love to hear a roll-call of all the awards you have gotten. If you can't brag on a blog, where can you brag?

8:05 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I don't have as many as I'd like, but just from memory, Big Events only:

1999 Direwolf GT, Best General
2002 Hillbilly GT, 2nd or 3rd best general
2003(?) Lone Wolf GT: Lore Master
2003(?) Lone Wolf GT: Scariest Army
2004 Battle for the LoneStar Dallas GT, Best Overall
2005 MAWL League, 2nd Best General
2005 Alamo GT, 3rd best general
2006 MAWL League 3rd Best General

I'm almost certain I'm missing a 3rd best general in there somewhere, I just can't remember where.

In 2000 I went 5-1 at the Chicago GT and got 4th best general. Then went on a 2 year 40K stint.

I ended up with nothing from a GT in 2006, only going to the Lonewolf GT where I went 4-1 and just missed out on awards.
Then to the Alamo where I had a bad showing of 2-2-1.
Though I did get the 3rd place in the MAWL League with 28 players.

I've been rated as high as 5th best general in the Marcus Martin US Warhammer rankings. And was in the top 10 until last Novembers debacle at the Alamo. So I have to wait till next November to see that loss cycle off the rankings.

Alright, enough bragging. ;-)

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home