Friday, March 16, 2007

Boyou Battles Round 1 BR

I played a great guy by the name of Zack S. in the first round and his Bretonnian horde. That was exactly what he had. He was sporting 9 Lances (Grail, questing, 2 Errant, 5 KoR), 2 units of mtd yoemen, 4 pegasus knights, General, BSB, 2 damsels.

I liked the list a lot, except he had no banners and no musicians on anything. Most lances had 6 knights in them.

BTW, I discovered yesterday, that for some reason most of my pics from the Boyou got corrupted. Only a couple made it. This battle pics, did not. Not sure what happened, but sorry but no pics today.

The scenario was capture the girls. 1 dead center & 2 were 1 foot away on either side.

Turn 1: I ran 2 units of hounds out to the middle to capture 2 of the girls. The 3rd was in a woods. I moved the rest of my units up about 4 inches behind my hounds.

Turn 1b: His KoR with BSB charge hounds in the center. Both Errant knight units in the middle also charge. My hounds flee, so all 3 units are together in the middle of the board. He moves his Grail knights to get a flank charge if he can hold with his knights.
On left flank, questing knights charge the hounds, hounds flee. Questing knights take the girl. General with KoR and 2nd KoR move up in support.
On right flank he moves up 2 units KoR & mtd yoemen to set up trap.

Turn 2: Ratspawn & company with chariot charge 3 units in the middle. So 2 knight errant, and KoR with BSB. I challenge, he accepts with Errant champ. I do 2 wounds that turns into 9 more. So I get the full 6. But then with all the rest of my attacks. 5 impact hits, 5 wounds, he saves them all. 3 str 5, str 4 and 10 str 6 attacks, I get a total of only 2 more wounds. He made that many armor/ward saves.
He does 3 wounds back and takes down a Rat Ogre.
So I have 8 + standard, to his 3 wounds, rank, standard, US. So I win by only 3.
He needs 6+ his units to hold with re-roll.

So with 6 attempts, he fails all 6!!! The Horned Rat was surely blessing me today. He fled with all 3. I pursue with both, catching both knights errant and capturing the BSB. The KoR get away but fail to rally and are off the board. More importantly the Grail knights have nothing but a hound unit to charge.

On the left flank, Furies charge yoemen who flee. 3 Rat Ogres into KoR. 4 Rat Ogres into Questing knights. Chariot into questing knights. Combined I kill all 6 questing knights. Chariot overruns and impacts into KoR with his general.
3 Rat Ogres kill a knight, but lose combat and hold.

On right flank, unit of 3 charges yoemen who flee.

Turn 2b: Charges on the right flank. KoR charge 3 Rat Ogres who flee off the board, but now their flank is exposed to a unit of 4 rat ogres.
2nd KoR charge the herd in the woods. Herd flees, KoR stuck in the woods.
4 Pegasus knights charge Ratspawn and company in the rear. But since they just killed 1 Rat Ogre, I removed the one behind Ratspawn, so he can fight and challenge again.

Grail knights turn to face Ratspawn and chariot.

In combat the Pegasus knight do 2 wounds. Ratspawn, whiffs. But Rat Ogres manage 2 wounds and kill a knight. But with the rear bonus, its a drawn combat.

The chariot hitting the generals unit does a wound, but I end up losing break and am caught. KoR with general rush forward and hit my herd.

The 3 Rat Ogres fighting the KoR on the left flank, win combat after hacking down a couple and break them.

Turn 3: Center: chariot into flank of pegasus knights. Kill 1, Ratspawn kills the champ. I leave 1 alive to flee so I can pursue. Chase him back to the center of the board and out of the charge arc of the grail knights. ;-)

Left flank.
Furies charge yoemen who flee but I catch him. I do end up in front of the grail knights.
4 Rat Ogres hit flank of generals unit.
spawn hits the other flank. When the dust cleared, his general was the only one left, he auto-flees and is run down.

Right flank. 4 Rat Ogres hit flank of KoR. Herd rallies.
4 Ogres kill 3 knights, they auto-break, and are caught. Yoemen panic and run off the board. KoR in the woods panic and run.

So at this point he has 2 knight units left. Grail knights and fleeing KoR.

Turn 3b: KoR rally, Grail knights charge furies, wipe them out, opt not to pursue.

Turn 4a: Herd charged KoR through woods. Had a slim line of sight between woods and a building. I win combat by 2-3, he breaks I catch him.
I turn Ratspawn around and head down to the grail knights.

Turn 4b: He turns his Grail knights around and makes one huge line with them.

Turn 5: Ratspawn and company charge grail knights. Herd charges grail knights.

the combat is fierce but I kill 3-4, he kills a couple gor and a Rat Ogre. But I win combat by 4 with the help of overkill from the Hellfire sword.
He breaks and is run down.

I capture all 3 girls. Massacre for Ratpspawn and a 20-7 victory.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to teach my boss to play, he bought a ton of minis for fairly cheap because he liked the looks of them.

Bretonnians.

I'd like to teach him how to play them well, but I unfortunately don't know how to play them.

Any tips? Did this guy do things really badly, or are the Brets just not great at taking all comers?

12:03 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

I'm not an expert on playing Brets just on beating them. ;)

Yes, he played them badly. Brets are great if you get the charge, otherwise, horrible. The key is to spot traps and not fall in them. He fell in every trap I layed out.

But a bret player in the same tourny went 4-0-1 and took Best General. A lot has to do with the guy pushing the minis around.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home