Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Bayou Battles Round 3 BR

First a couple of announcements.
1. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, things got hectic.
2. I got to see 300 over the weekend. WOW!! I loved it. There won't be any Oscars for this film, but what a great movie. Also, saw a documentary from the History channel about the 300. Very enlightening. I always think its good to know the real history and not just the *Movie* version that people will swear to.
3. I can't wait to see all the Spartan armies to hit the scene next year.
4. I have been spelling Bayou imporperly and want everyone to know it's correct spelling is with an a.

Round 3: Vs Wood Elves.
Scenario was Wild Squigs. Give 1 character a squig. It acts as a warbanner and gives your unit 2 str 5 attacks in combat. If the unit holding it flees you drop it. It will then hop around randomly. And when you pick it up, it will attack you. If you make your panic test you can keep it.
If you break someone in combat with a squig you may pursue/overrun or you may capture the squig, but not both.

Bonus points were given for holding your squig, capturing your opponents squig and if you get your squig into your opponents half of the table. Penalty points for keeping it in your deployment zone.

My opponent fielded an army that looked like:
Lord w/stuff. Not sure, annoyance for sure, and a 3+ ward save that runs out if he fails. And Bow of Loren I think.
Noble with Hail of Doom arrow.
Couple of Mages, Lv 1 and Lvl 2.
Big block eternal guard
2 units of 10 archers
3 Treekin
7 wardancers w/champ
8(?) Dryads w/champ
5-6 Waywatchers
Treeman
3 Warhawk riders

Here was the only pic to make it out of the camera and the GUO's corruption:


The smiley faces are the squigs. I gave Ratspwan mine and he gave his Noble his.

You can see his 2 archer units (he put both wizards in the one of the left)
His eternal guard unit to the left and behind the archers.
The wardancers in the woods. The treeman is there as well.
Further left is the dryads and warhawk riders.
On the right you can see the treekin and the waywatchers are further right.

Not sure exactly the turn orders, so I'll do my best.

Turn 1: he goes first and doesn't kill much. Did a little tree surfing.
Turn 1b: I run up as fast as I can.

Turn 2: He moves up his treeman, warhawk riders land on the left flank and shoot at my Rat Ogres. With his 2 rounds of shooting, he kills 1. On the right he kills off 2 furies with his way watchers. Kills a Rat Ogre from the group of 4 showing in the pic.

Turn 2b: Herd next to Ratspawn, fails terror test and flees. I move up further.

Turn 3: warhawk riders charge herd, herd flees more, but sideways and doesn't run off the board.
dryads on left flank charge Rat Ogres, but are so far away only 2 can get into combat, He whiffs I do 1 wound, we draw.
Wardancers charge out of woods and into spawn. Kill spawn overrun and hit hounds, who flee and get away.
Treeman is skulking behind my hounds.
His treekin charge out at 4 Rat Ogres. Kill 1 and win combat by 1. But I hold. I remove the wrong guy.

Turn 3b: Hounds charge treeman. My thinking is, he breaks the hounds and pursues into Ratspawn with his hellfire sword.
Herd rallies, hounds rally. I'm so worried about the wardancers charging my chariot, that I miss them charging Ratspawn in the flank completely.Ugghhh!!

If I removed the other end of the Rat Ogres, the chariot could charge in. As it is, the chariot is blocked out and the herd declares a charge for support, but fails its fear test.
Rat Ogres charge the flank of the Treekin.

In combat, the hounds whiff, the treeman whiffs. 1 hit fails to wound. Hounds win by outnumbering. Then the 9 plops down and the treeman breaks!!! He then runs 4" and the hounds chase him down!! 30 points vs 285 points. Gotta love it.
The Ratogres kill 2 dryads, win combat, break them and chase them down. I now own the left flank.

I win combat with the treekin taking them down to 2, but he holds.

Turn 4a: Wardancers into flank of Ratspawn. More shooting more killing.
He moves the warhawk riders behind ratspawn, so if he breaks he will be cut down.

In magic he cast treesinging and miscasts. His guy takes a wound. So he casts with his other wizard and miscasts. I get to cast a spell for free. So I use my herds staff of Darkoth spell to charge the just rallied herd into the warhawk riders. When I charge the closest and the rest line up, it pulls them out from the flee path of Ratspawn.

In combat his 6 wardancers with 19 attacks does 8 wounds. Ouch. Avg was 6. I get my 2 squig attacks back and kill a wardancer. So he has 8 + flank = 9. I have US, banner, 1 wound, squig. So he still wins by 5. So needing a 4+ I fail.

I flee with Ratspawn 12" and get away. He opted to pursue and not capture the squig, and fails to catch me. Since the warhawk riders aren't there anymore thanks to the timely miscast, Ratspawn lives.
The herd easily beats the warhawk riders and catches them when they break.
The combined effort of the Rat Ogres break the last treekin and chase him down. One unit would hit the way watchers. Only 6" from the table edge, he takes his chances fleeing and runs 5" to get away.

Turn 4b: Rat Ogres chase way watchers off the board.
Herd charges wardancers.
Ratspawn and company rally. Everyone moves up to ready for turn 5 charges.
The squig jumps over by the hounds who broke the treeman. So they turn around and pick him up. He attacks and kills 2 hounds. I make my panic check.

I kill 2 wardancers, he kills a couple gors, but I win combat by 3, he breaks and runs 12". Right into the hounds who just turned around to pick up the squig. Go hounds!!!

Turn 5a: "Can it get any worse."
He charges Lord into 2 Rat Ogres (with 1 wound on one) on my left flank.
He moves his wizards into the eternal guard. He moves noble out of Eternal guard to get squig out of deployment zone and a shot to get it into my half of the board by end of the game.

He shoots and kills a few things.

In combat his lord with 4 attacks, needing 3's and 2's. Does 1 wound. Ouch.
With 6 attacks, needing 4's and 2's, I get 2 hits and both wound. With a 3+ ward, he fails both!! He needs insane courage and fails. I chase him down and the 2 rat Ogres end up right behind the eternal guard.

Turn 5b: 3 units of Rat Ogres charge the archers on the right. They flee and are caught.
The 2 chariots charge the archers on the left. They stand and shoot at the chariot with 3 wounds and drop it. So single chariot into archers who are in front of the eternal guard.
2 Rat Ogres charge the rear of the eternal guard. They fail their fear test, so will need 6's to hit.

Chariot kills off 4 archers, wins combat by 3, they break and are caught. Chariot impacts into front of Eternal guard.
With combined kills from chariot and Rat Ogres and even with many attacks back with the eternal guard, needing 6's to hit, they get no wounds. I win by 5-6, he breaks and the Rat Ogres chase him down.

Turn 6a: with only his noble left on the board, he concedes.

Win for the Bests: 17 - 6.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like game 2 the dice hated you and game 3 the dice loved you.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

The dice tend to hate me. Game 3 of this GT was a real surprise. When that happens there is very little that can stop me.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home