Thursday, December 07, 2006

BR: VC vs Skaven

This is the last of my Alamo BR's since I did round 5 to get it out of the way early.

This game was round 4 Sunday morning. I actually felt pretty good, and I had known the night before I would be facing Dwayne Choat in this battle. Dwayne's army is made up primarily of ghouls. In fact he had 6 units of 13 ghouls!!
I had actually noticed this army Friday night and was a bit worried about it. VC are pretty tough cookie for Skaven to begin with, but poison and fear were a deadly combo.

Here is a pic of his army:


His list looked like this:
Vamp Lord Van Carstein Lvl 3 w/D.scroll, Ring of night Aura of Dark Majesty.
Necromancer Lvl 2 w/D.Scroll, book of Arkhan
Vamp thrall, BSB, Flayed Hauberk, Talisman of protection

6x 13 ghouls
27 Skeletons with full comand
28 skeletons w/full command
6 fell bats
5 black knights
2 banshees

I knew my only hope was to try and spread his army out so he couldn't use his general's leadership to help out his ghouls. I needed to get them running from shooting and magic.

Then we turned over the scenario. Rain storm. this has the effect of pushing everything to one side of the board and helping him out a ton.

I went first and moved up. Miscast turn 1 and he gets to cast a spell. High level raises lots of skellies.

His turn 1 he moves up. Raised some zombies in front of my plague monks to force them out of position. He flew his fellbats onto the top of the castle to charge my jezzails on the hill.

My turn 2: My jezzails killed 3 knights!! The monks hit the zombies, crushed them and overran 3". I move my swarms in front of my jezzails to protect them.
Ratling gun shoots his bats on the tower doing 4 wounds, killing 2.

His turn 2, put his black knights in charge range of the monks, looking for the big overrun. His banshees are hiding behind the building. His bats charge
Bats charge the Poison wind globadiers who stand and shoot and do a wound. But the bats have the hill, I have numbers. He whiffs, I do 1 wound, another bat drops.

My turn 3: tunnel team pops up, deviates enough to avoid the ghouls, and charges the banshee. He wasn't worried till I let him know their poison was magical. They then promptly failed their fear test. This quickly became the pro-quo for the rest of the game.
Monks and PCBs hit knights, slaughter them both overrun and are stopped by the tunnel team.
Jezzails try to charge bats but fail their fear test. Bats whiff, PWG's do a wound and another pops. Move swarms to get charge next turn.

We are jockying around in the middle of the board, nothing big going on.
All this is on the far left flank.
Some raised zombies hit a slave unit, break them and hit another slave unit. I charge the raised zombies with giant rats, takes a couple rounds to kill them.

His turn 3: Ghouls into the tunnel team. To be honest I can't remember if they fled or if they failed their fear test. I should have had them hold, but whatever it was they fled. Right off the board. His ghouls hit my PCBs and we rank up.
Combat has 1 ghoul die from the fog and 2 PCBs. He then gets 4 poison hits and wipes them out. Overruns off the board.
His bats whiff while my PWGs do 2 wounds and the last bat pops as well.
Banshee screams at jezzails, killing a bunch, the others run off the board.
Banshee screams at a Ld 10 ratling gun and kills it.

My turn 4. Realizing things are going really bad I decide to make a bold move and run the monks to the flank of his skellie block. Charge the banshee with some Giant rats, swarms charge the other banshee.
Charge some ghouls with clanrats.
The rain is becoming a real hinderance.
The ghouls are making every panic test because of the 18" range of the general.
The ghoul poison attacks are just eating up my unarmored troops and is not looking pretty.

I take out the banshees but thats about it. Giant rats overrun into some ghouls.

His turn 4, his BSB unit turns to face my Monks and Priest. He moves his ghouls back on the table.
His general moves his unit up.
The ghouls lose to the giant rats but they hold.

My turn 5. Monks charge the BSB skellie unit. His champ challenges and my Priest has to go for him instead of the BSB. I win combat by a couple. Big deal.
My rat swarms charge into the ghouls fighting the giant rats. We lose combat this round because of the loss of ranks, and the giant rats flee, but the rat swarms hold up the ghouls.

His turn 5. His Generals unit charges some clanrats who flee. His BSB now challenges and faces my priest without a flail. He beats down the priest, wins combat, they break run and are run down.

My turn 6. I am down right now, but feel I could pull it to a draw if a couple things can happen. I know I lose if I do nothing. Generals unit charges his general's unit in the flank. My general for the 2nd game whiffs with every attack. We do win by 1, big deal.
My warlock blows himself up.

His turn 6. His general moves over by my general. Then in the magic phase, rolls a miscast. This could be it. If he can roll the double 1's, it might still be a draw.

Nope, I get to cast a spell. So warlock high level into his ghouls with 3 left hoping to wipe them out. I roll a 3 and a 1. I kill 2. The last one makes his panic, I kill myself with the other.

In combat his Vamp hacks down Velsquee.

A devastating loss to the Vamps and any hope of an award went out the window. Now sitting a 2-2, I had one battle left to redeem myself. Instead I get that aweful draw and end up 2-2-1, the worst GT record I have ever had. I've never had a losing record, but the way I've been playing lately I just can't put it together.

Hope you enjoyed it. Dwayne was an excellent sport and we had a great game. He even let me go back and take a magic & shooting phase when I had skipped right over them close to the end of the game. My head was definetly not into it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home