Friday, December 01, 2006

Battle Report Skaven vs Wood Elves

This was game 2 of the Alamo. My opponent Aaron Chapman. Aaron runs a very had hitting army of Wood Elves. He runs no wizards but instead takes very nasty magic item combos. He loves historical armies. He took a Roman Legion army to the Lone Wolf and has the Greek Phalanx here.

Here is his awesome Greek army on display:


His army consisted of the following:
Highborn w/ Rhymer's Harp and annoyance of netlings
Noble BSB w/Royal Standard of Ariel
68 Eternal guard, standard, musc, warbanner

Noble with blight of terrors
29 Eternal guard w/standard & musc

6 Wild riders
6 wild riders
10 glade guard archers

That was it, for a total of 122 models facing off against my horde of 290 models.

Here was is initial setup:


And here was the majority of my setup across from him:



Turn 1a: He went first and moved up.

Turns 1b: On the left flank I moved my giant rats facing off his wild riders and ran my swarms up for support. Everything else moved up as well. I do 3 wounds with magic to his big block to watch him make 3 5+ ward saves. This was going to be tough. I had scouted my gutter runners in the woods and moved them up to the edge.

Turn 2a: He charges his wild riders into my giant rats. I'm thinking they are out, so I hold. He is 17.5" out. Ouch. He hits, breaks them, but restrains pursuit.
He charges my swarms with his small block (of 30). I'm thinking he has to wheel to hit them. I noticed a minor side slide, no biggie, and he barely touches 1 corner of a swarm. He then wants me to move both completely over to maximize, so he doesn't have to wheel? It was still early so I let it go.
Of course he does 5 wounds, and swarm crumbles. He overruns 10" and hits my ratling gun. I can flee but if I do, he will continue on into my PCB's and I'd rather have the charge with them. So I hold with the ratling. He makes his terror check.

His big block charges some slaves, breaks them and overrun 11" and is right in front of my warlocks unit.
Archers shoot at my gutter runners but fail to wound any.

Turn 2b: Things are looking messy quick. I have a clanrat unit that can hit the flank of his huge unit. I charge but fail my Ld 10 fear test. (probably a good thing in retrospect)
Plague Censor bearers have to charge the smaller block.
The Monks can charge either the smaller block or have an outside shot at hitting the wild riders. I go ahead and hit the block. Not sure if this was the right move or not.
Gutter runners charge the archers, who stand and shoot but fail to wound any.

I move my warlock into my generals unit.
In combat my PCB's with monks kill a bunch but their Stubborn 9 they stay. I was able to expand the monks enough to keep the wild riders from having a flank charge.
My gutter runners kill 2, he kills 1, its a drawn combat.
Magic and shooting are whittling down the huge block.

Turn 3a: He charges my clanrats with his big block, they flee, he hits the slaves. Wipes them out, they run off the board, he restrains pursuit.
Moves the wilder riders behind the monks, but facing the middle of the board.
His other wild riders have been dancing around with several of my units.
The gutter runners kill 2-3 archers, win combat, break them and run them down.
In the combat with the smaller block, I kill off many elves, while my PCBs are getting hurt as are the monks.

Turn 3b: Huge mistake turn. General with warlock and clanrats charge into the huge block. Wish I had failed my fear test but did not. To make matters worse I shoot into combat with ratling gun. 8 hits. Randomize, 2 on him, no wounds, 6 on me, all wound. So I lose a rank as well. So we are even up going into combat.
Warlord 4 attacks: 4 misses. Warlock: 2 attacks, 2 misses. Clanrats manage to kill 1. He does 2 wounds to the warlock, wins combat by 1, I auto break from fear and run off the board. He pursued so he got turned and captured my standard. :(
Thats almost 500 points and I'm trying to salvage a draw at this point.

In the smaller combat, I'm still winning and hes still making his stubborn check.
But now I've killed enough his noble has had to slide into combat finally.

Turn 4a: He charges his big block at a clanrat unit that flees, runs through another clanrat unit, that makes its panic check.
I think he forgets to move the wild riders on my side of the board. The 2nd wild rider unit won't take my bait and continues to move back away from my 3 units coming at him.
In the combat, I challenge with my priest and kill the noble. Now he's not stubborn but I only win by a couple and he holds.

Turn 4b: My tunnelers pop up. I'm hoping to go after his wild riders dancing in the back, but I deviate 10" and too far away from them. But am right behind the smaller eternal guard fighting my monks and last PCB. I charge. We kill them to just a couple, though I lose the pCB. Monks and Gutter runners both pursue. I capture their standard, but screw up and put my tunnel team completely in front of my monks.

My clanrats that fled last turn rallied.

Turn 5a: He turns his wild riders around to face the tunnel team.
His big block charges clanrats who flee, run through just rallied clanrats who make panic check.

Turn 5b: If my tunnel team was just off set I could have charged both units at the wild riders. But with only the tunnel team to face them from the front, I decided against it. They also had the enemy banner. So I run them into the woods to hide them and prepare the Monks for a charge. This was a huge mistake. Saving the Monks should have been the primary objective, but I just couldn't see how to do it.

Clanrats that fled rallied. Lots of shooting and magic into his big block.

Turn 6a: Big block into clanrats who fled through just rallied clanrats, they pass their panic check.
Wild riders charge monks. 2 horses kill the plague priest needing 6's to wound.
He wins combat, I break, and am run down, but the tunnel team makes their panic check.

Turn 6b: with no charges, I rally my clanrats.
Magic into the big block. I roll a 6,6,4 and say 14. My opponent rolls a 14. I then say, oh, I meant 16. A bit of huh!! and then he lets me have it. I roll a 1 and 3. Wound myself and fail to wound any elves. So I give him 72 points right there.
I then shoot him to below half in his huge unit.

When we add it up, he is up by 250 points. Then we remember 1 more standard he captured and I lose by aorund 350 points. Ugghhh!!!

If the warlock doesn't wound himself in the bottom of 6, its a draw. If I don't charge his block, I probably win this game. If I have my tunnel team and monks set up to both charge, he probably has to dance away with them and thats 300+ points I don't give him in turn 6.

I played very poorly, and Aaron took advantage of every mistake I made.
He won 2nd best overall and went 4-1 in the GT. Great job Aaron.
I know we will be seeing a lot more of him as time goes on.

I hope you enjoyed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home