Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Battle Report: Twins of Khorne vs Chaos Beasts Part II

When I left off, the Beasts of chaos were well ahead and there magic was enough to get through about 1 spell a turn. He had miscast in turn 2, but the result was only that I could cast a spell. Its the only one any of my opponents get anymore. ;)

But his general now realized there was a threat to himself and still not a single Chaos knight had been killed yet. And as long as I had those, I still had all my dispel dice and a chance.

Turn 3a: Beasts of Chaos
His only charge is to send the chariot at my marauders that had just wounded his general.
He then on cue rallies both the Dragon Ogres and Beast herd. He could have charged my fleeing centigors but felt that would leave himself open for a flank charge from my chaos knights. So he pulled back slightly.
He flies his Exalted Daemon behind my knights.

Magic kills off a couple of centigors. That was it. No hand to hand so onto my turn 3 with this setup:


I measure for my frenzied charges and the only one in range is the knights into the flank of the chariot. The other chariot and minotaurs are just out of reach, as are the dragon ogres. :(

So of course the chariot flees the charge and runs 14" and barely hits my generals unit killing 2 knights while being destroyed himself. Not good.

But on the bright side, all 3 of my fleeing units rallied, which I desperately needed. I move my knights through the ruins, barely making it out. I figured I have to stop screwing around with my general and run him right up on the chosen knights. This is a huge risk, but I have to do something.
I get to move the one marauder unit who runs behind the Exalted daemon again and throws, but does nothing.

I back up my knights some to keep them out of range of the minotaurs and dragon ogres.

At the end of turn 3 this was the setup:


Note that the chariot with the yellow X on it, was destroyed when it hit the knights while it was fleeing.

Turn 4a: Now it was time for the beasts to get bold. Chariot into the flank of the knights. Chosen knights into the general's unit. He was looking at putting the minotaurs into their flank, but they had no LOS.
He does not charge the minotaurs into the Centigors. Might have been tough with the wall there, but I felt he should have.
The herd #3 also fails its unruly and is forced to charge the chaos knights on the left side.
His plans are starting to unravel now.
He maneuvers the minotaurs and Dragon Ogres around, again trying to stay out of my charge range. Here I think is a huge mistake. With 2 to 1 advantage, you take it.

Move the minotaurs in front and angle the Dragon ogres but stay out of range. My knights are forced to charge. Minotaurs flee. Dragon Ogres hit knights in the flank. Break them, overrun close to my general's unit.

He also runs his great bray shaman up by himself close to the wall to get off the Hunters spear on my centigors. In magic he does kill a few centigors dropping their number to 3 (mistake showing 4 later).

In combat, the chariot gets 7 impact hits but only manages to kill 1 knight. And with numbers and standard I win, but he holds. I make a mistake here, and turn my knights to face the chariot. My thinking his chariot will hold the next round as well.
His herd #3 totally whiffs on my knights getting 0 wounds and my knights rip them apart. After he fails his insane courage, I overrun into the big herd #1 and his wargor. His great bray shaman panics and runs.

In the big knights combat, with his 15 attacks, he only manages to kill 1. As he only got 3 hits and 2 wounds. I saved 1. My general then kills 1 and my knights kill 1. So I win combat by 1!! That is a huge turn around.

So things are really starting to take a turn in my favor.


Turn 4b: Twins of Khorne
Things are looking up here. The Centigors go frenzy. Needing to charge something I can hit the big minotaur unit or go for the fleeing bray shaman. I decide taking out the level 4 shaman is paramount. He only flees 6" and the centigors are able to run him down and get out of the charge arc of the minotaurs.
I decide the right flank needs to be fixed. I pull the hero out of the unit so we are 2 on 2 instead of 2 on 1.
I run my other marauder unit up to the Exalted daemon who didn't move last time. I had made my terror test from the other, so together I'm able to put 10 axe shots on him. With 4 wounds, he saves 2 with his ward. Then with the troll hide, he saves 1 more. So still alive but barely.

In combat my knights decide to avoid the wargor and just go for gors. I kill off 7 of the 8 including the champ. Leaving only the banner. His ungors and lone gor whiff. But the wargor stands strong and hits all 3 times and then wounds all 3 times. So needing a 5+ armor save, I make 2 of the 3. (forgot to delete one in the pic.) But even with 2 ranks, US, and banner, I win 8 to 5. Needing a 4 not to flee, he fails and is run down.

I wound the chariot, but he saves. He then whiffs his attacks on my knights and needing a 6 to stay, he fails and flees. I pursue but am now in a single file. He runs 9" and I run 10". So he doesn't hit the minotaurs, causes no panics and I fail to hit the minotaurs by 1". Ugghhh!! The worst possible outcome.

In the big knight combat, my general goes on fire hitting 4 times and wounding 3. He fails 2 of the saves. My knights then hit all 4 times and wound 3. He fails 1 and his chosen knights of tzeentch are now history.

And just like that, the game has completely changed. I look up and there is nothing but despair on my opponents face. The game that seemed so much in the bag after turn 3 all of the sudden has completely fallen apart.


Turn 5a: Beasts of Chaos
The beast general was now in full salvage mode. what can he get quick? He charges the minotaurs in. One on the knights one on the hero. He backs his Dragon Ogres up. And in a bid to save his general he flies the scared daemon over to the idol.

His magic is completely shut down. In combat the minotaurs kill the only knight in combat with them, but that was all. With US they win and I am no longer frenzied, the knights fail their insane courage and flee. They easily get away from even the blood greed filled minotaurs.

On my heroes combat, they swing away and get 3 hits. Then wound all 3 times. With his 0+ armor save now at 3+, he saves 2. But he is also wearing the same troll hide as the daemon and makes his 5+ regeneration roll. The hero really does poorly back only getting 1 wound, but with the rending sword it turned into 3 and a minotaur dropped. So the lone hero wins combat but the minotaurs hold.


Turn 5b: The Twins of Khorne
With no charges to delcare, the knights on the right back up for a possible turn 6 charge on the minotaurs if they are still around.
The knights rally.

I run the marauders around the minotaurs and throw axes at them. Killing 1 but he makes his panic check.
The centaurs, not needing a terror test as they failed one earlier, just move up around the corner and lob their str 5 axes at the Exalted daemon. With 3 hits and 2 wounds, it was too much and the horrid beast was sent back into the warp.

In combat, my hero gets 2 wounds that turns into 4. His minotaur gets 2 wounds back, but when my hero makes both armor saves, the minotaurs flee with the hero quickly overtaking them and claiming their skulls for khorne.


Turn 6a: Beasts of Chaos
The minotaurs charge the chaos knights who flee. And the dragon ogres back up.

No magic, no shooting no combat.


Turn 6b: Twins of Khorne
With the game in hand, there were no charges to be made. The knights fail to rally and I forget to use the idol to re-roll it.

The marauders run up behind the minotaurs for one last volley. The knights on the right move down to claim the table quarter.

I search the idol for the elusive key and it in fact eludes me and I am unable to accomplish the mission of finding the key. This will cost me severely in the next round of the league.

Before I throw my axes, my opponent graciously concedes.



Final thoughts: David was a great sport throughout the entire game. I on the other hand was a prick as usual when things went bad. Took me a turn or two to get over it. No rules arguments, but 2 iffy calls that we disagreed on.

One was the chariot. I wanted to measure a lot closer, as I thought it had a chance to miss my knights when it fled, but he had already picked it up, so we couldn't check for sure.
The 2nd was the minotaurs into the flank. It was close, but he conceded. Not sure if it was because of the chariot issue just 5 minutes before, or because he felt bad for me because I was getting stomped.

Either way, after those 2 I think I settled down, and started playing without any more issues. Except for my dice going insane hot in the combat phases. It was not uncommon for me to roll 5 dice and get 4 6's to hit.

The herd going unruly was a huge blow as it allowed the 1 unit of knights to roll those up. And then the great shaman fleeing right in front of frenzied centigors was just unlucky. And not sure if he moved the Exalted daemon up to try and search for the key in turn 6, but putting it right in range of my centigors with axes turned out to be his doom.

Overall, it turned out to be a really fun game and of course I felt like dog crap afterwards for getting mad at my dice after his turn 1.

I think it turned out to be a very intense game where both of us really wanted the win. And at the end of the game I just looked over at David and said, "What the hell happened?"

His lack of getting the Beast cowers spell really hurt as well as any real powerful spell for the fire lore. But 10 Power Dice and 1 bound item had a rough time against 8 Dispel Dice.

In the end, the armor and strength of the knights came through. And I need to remember as long as I have them, I stand a chance.
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL GOD!!

Hope you enjoyed it.

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home