Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Battle Report: Twins of Khorne vs Chaos Beasts Part I

I played my 4th League game Saturday morning. David and I are both Stoners (and not as in drugs, but for those who know what I'm talking about, hey.)
Like all my posts, click on the pictures to enlarge them.

We met at the Lonestar comics in Arlington and got right into it.
We rolled up 6 pieces of terrain. We ended up with 3 hills and dropped one for the Ancient Idol which is in the scenario.

The scenario involved trying to find a key carved into the idol. You had to have a unit stand close to the idol and do nothing for a whole turn. Then you could find it on a 4+. In addition, when you found the key you could find a magic ring on a 5+.
You got 50 vp for the key, and 50 for the ring. And any unit that found the key did not give up any vp for being under half.

My army was my typical Twins of Khorne with only a couple of exceptions.
I swapped out my no armor save sword for the d3 wounds and echanted shield.
And with my extra 50 points for being the home team I took the banner of rage.

Twins of Khorne
Exalted hero of khorne on chaos steed, shield, gaze of the gods, sword of might, wand of dragon slaying, general.
Exalted hero of khorne, on chaos steed, rending sword, enchanted shield, troll hide
4 units of 5 chaos knights of khorne with standard, mus. 1 with banner of rage.
4 units of 5 chaos marauder horsemen w/flails, throw axes, mus
2 units of 6 Centigors w/light armor, shield, spears, throw axes, mus
2 units of 5 Dogs of War fast cav w/bows, shields, mus

Davids Arkenrok's Ambushers
Exalted Daemon, undivided, unliving idol, soul hunger, troll hide, lvl 2 fire, general
Greater Bray shaman, power familiar, crown of horns. lvl 4, beast
Wargor, great weapon, armor of damnation
Beast herd #1, 8 gors, 10 ungors, full command
Beast herd #2, 6 gors, 6 ungors, foe render, mus
Beast herd #3, 6 gors, 6 ungors, mus
5 Warhounds
2 Tuskigor chariots
5 Chosen Chaos knights of Tzeentch, Banner of Wrath
5 Chaos furies
2 units of 4 Minotaurs
3 Dragon Ogres

here is the setup:


For terrain, on the left we had some ruins, and then 2 walls that made a V shape. A small hill next to the walls. In the center we had a small building with the statue on top. It is designated in the drawing with the giant. On the right we have a woods and then a hill up on the top right.

His deployment left to right was:
furies, herd #3, herd #1 with wargor and great shaman (green), minotaurs, 2 chariots, hounds, knights, with Exalted daemon behind them. Minotaurs, herd #2 and finally Dragon Ogres.

Mine left to right was: knights and marauders, centigors, knights and marauders, knights with general and marauders, centigors, DoW, marauders, knights with banner of rage and hero, Dogs of war.

I had the option to go first, but with no shooting on his part, I let him take the first turn. Probably a mistake.

Turn 1a: Beasts.
He moves his units up a bit but not much. Then in magic, he is casting and I am dispelling. Finally his exalted daemon casts Fireball on the chaos marauders in front of my generals unit. I'm not to worried about it as much as the burning head spell coming next. So I let it go. Big Mistake.

He rolls 6 hits on 1d6. Then needing 3+ to wound, he gets 5 wounds. Ok, wipes out the whole unit. No biggie, only 1 panic test needed on the Centigors. Needing an 8, they roll a 9.
They promptly rotate their unit directly right and flee 12". Well thats not so bad, except there is no place for them to stop and they flee right off the board. This causes panic checks in the marauders and both Dogs of war fast cav units. All but the last Dogs of war fast cav flee and right off the board.

There goes 440 points worth of troops lost on turn 1, and my entire right flank.


The red star is where the fireball hit. The yellow 'X's show which units were destroyed.

Turn 1b: Twins of Khorne
So this is what I had at the beginning of turn 1:


You can imagine how I felt. This was going to be a long game. And at the time I was thinking not very fun either. Boy was I wrong.

I decide at least go for the key before I lose everything. My army moves up. I shoot my Dogs of war at the Dragon Ogres and do a wound. I throw axes at the hounds killing 2. They flee through a chariot, but he makes his panic test.

Here is the setup at the end of turn 1. Somehow I didn't feel things had evened out.


Turn 2a: Beasts of Chaos
The furies charge my marauders who flee and go through my knights. The furies can hit the knights or stop right in front. 20" lands them right on the knights. So he charges the knights with the furies.
He charges herd #2 into my Dogs of War fast cav. After looking at it closely, I flee off the table.
His hounds fail to rally and run off the table.
He flies his Exalted Daemon behind my left flank.
moves everything around a bit, moves his chariots up.
He then gets off wolfs hunt and his chariot charges my marauders by the idol. I flee and run past the daemon.
In hand to hand the furies do nothing and are hacked down and destroyed.

Here is the setup at the end of turn 2a:


Turn 2b: Twins of Khorne
I start off with the centigors failing their terror test and fleeing. Knights on the left can just hit the herd #3 through the ruins. They charge, he flees and gets away.
On the right flank knights charge herd #2. He flees, but only runs 3". I catch him and was about to end up right in front of the Dragon Ogres. But his Dragon Ogres panic and run 10" away. Whew!!
I move my knights in the center up, and move my general to the flank in case the Exalted decides to charge in.
1 unit of marauders rallies and runs up to the daemon. The other fails but only flees 9" and stays just barely on the battlefied.
In shooting I get 3 hits and 3 wounds on the Exalted. He fails all his ward saves, but the league item troll hide gives him a 5+ regeneration roll. He makes 2 of them and saves the Exalted.

Here was the end of turn 2.


Things are still not looking good for the Twins of Khorne. But better than before. A couple of failed rallies and things could turn around. But still way behind.

Coming Soon Part II

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home