Friday, February 09, 2007

Painting my Furies: Part 1

Due to the large number of pics, I thought it best to break this post into 2 parts.

Why Furies? When I was building my list of beastmen, I knew I needed something that could get across the field in 2 turns. Flyers was the only way to do that without taking cavalry.

Since this is really a Feral Skaven army, we had no cavalry and we had no fliers.
So I decided a conversion was the only way to go. I could go with some Rat Centaurs to be fast cav Marauders or even chaos knights. But that had been done before.

But I had seen no one do Rats with Wings. The thought of it inspired me, and furies filled my only Special slot in my army. The fact that they are undivided fit more into the fluff of the beast army.

When thinking about how Ratspawn would use these airbound vermin, it occurred to me, that he would primarily use them as scouts. So I broke out the Night runner box and built 5 Night runners.
The next step was what wings would look right on these. After searching the GW bit site for wings, I decided on the newer Fury wings. They look great. And since I was using them for furies, this would make it easier for players to tell what they were.
So with a list of bit part numbers in hand, off to the GW store to order them. Week or so later I have wings in hand.

I then had the difficult task of trying to get them to fit onto the backs of these Night runners. This was no easy job and lots of fileing and glueing took place.
I also knew I wanted a variety of poses.
So 2 are standing on the ground. One is up on a rock and 2 are on flying bases. To ensure they didn't pop off the flying stands, I carefully drilled into the models and inserted the flying stand into the model. And on the base, I used slotted bases, drilled out a bit and came up through the bottom. This gave some very good support for them.

The next step was to base them with sand and prime them.


If you notice, I wrapped masking tape around the flying stands. I like them to stay clear.

The next step was similar to the hounds. I gave the bases a once around on the edges and did the models in the GW flesh wash ink.


I also removed the tape. I was pretty liberal with the ink to make sure I covered the entire model.

My next step, I used a craft paint tan, thinned way down. I painted all the raised areas of skin and coated the wings.


This looks bad in the picture but serves a couple of purposes. If you remember from the hounds, I did the same thing on their tails. By covering the wings lightly, it forms a nice base to prevent the ink from rubbing off as easily. And in addition, I don't cover over the recesses, so when I do the ink again, it gives a bit more contrast into those nooks and crannies.

So the next step is to go back and redo the wings with the GW flesh wash ink again.


Also in the picture I went back with the tan (not watered down this time.) and with my fine brush did the spines on the wings. This was very slow and time consuming. But if you do it carefully you can do it in one try and really makes the wings pop. I also put a nice coat over the muscles on the wings.

Now it was time for some detail.


I always try to work outwards. So I started with Dark red and painted the mouths, any wounds and then did any clothes I wanted to be red.
For Dark red, I use a slightly thinned craft dark red.
Next I did white on the claws, teeth and eyes.
For white, I use a reaper white as it has a nice smooth texture and covers very nice.
Finally in this shot, I did the metal. Here I use a Vellejo bolt metal and do all the metal parts on the model.

I'm probably just over half way finished with the models at this point.

Until next time...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice looking models.

honestly i have no problem playing your army with the proxies. doesnt even occur to me that they arent what they are supposed to be.

shaun g

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt you all have the same problem as I but:

My GW group has an Empire player that until recently was filling out his horde and would field his extra spearmen as whatever...Flagllents, swordsmen, halbediers. No big deal.

Until after a game I realized he had put a unit of "swordsmen" in play, after dispatching a group of Carrion with their skills, they recieved the charge of some horsemen and rolled a few extra dice...2nd rank....

Proxy can be dangerous occasionally...didn't really change the course of the game but it could have, it was just a mistake not malice...but it could have been

12:39 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Yea, that can be a problem if people don't understand what they are looking at.
This is a proxied army, but is very simple in its design.
I eliminated any variances between units.
Rat Ogres are all Minotaurs with great weapons. No need to try and remember if some have extra hand weapons, and which ones have great weapons. They are all the same.
The only variance is my Doombulls unit has full command. The rest none.

Furies are easy, the only ones with wings. Chaos hounds, are easy.
Herds are easy.
Chariots are easy.

Right now the hardest thing for people is my spawn, because I haven't sculpted them yet. They are still on the drawing board. So I'm using older rat ogres for them.
But that will change before the GT.

Good point. Proxies need to be easy to tell what they are.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home