Monday, February 19, 2007

BR: Dwarfs vs Chaos Beasts part 1

Ratspawn looked out at the Dwarf troops camped across the valley. They looked small to him. But there was no doubting the armor they wore. It sparkled in the sunlight. And their many warmachines also gleamed in the early dawn.
The cloudrunners landed just a few paces behind Ratspawn.

The news wasn't good. There was no clear way around the dwarfs out of the mountain area, and the battlefield would definetely favor the Stunties.

The cloud runners sketched out the battlefield. Yes, this Dwarf general was not dumb. Any path towards the Dwarfs would lead to bottlenecks where their cannons would rip them up. But one side definetely set up a natural defensive position for the short ones. Ratspawn knew he could not let him take that side of the battlefield. Luckily the cloud runners gave him good knowledge of the Lay of the Land.

Ratspawn called for a fast march and they took to the battlefield. At least once we get through the bottlenecks the field was pretty open, where their speed could be used.

**********************
My opponent and I laid out the battlefield and setup. It was a mess of a table top. With 6 pieces of terrain and the majority setup in the middle, only small gaps between them. This totally disrupted my plans and formations.

Here is a rough pic of what the battlefield looked like after setup:



Terrain: Far right is a Rocky Ridge in the middle. It blocks line of sight and is impassable.
Up at the top the large black hole is a ravine. Does not block LOS and is impassable.
In the middle is a 2 layer hill. Bottom layer is normal hill. Top section, is difficult terrain. The red bars are impassable.
The brown area with grey circles is an area of scree. Does not block LoS, difficult.
The 2 bright green areas are woods.

Dwarfs: Going Right to left: C1: Cannon with Rune of Forging
G: Gyrocoptor
T1: 10 Thunderers
LB: 15 Long Beards, full command, Rune of courage
B1: Bolt thrower, Engineer
H: 14 Hammerers, Full command, Rune Battle
w/Lord Runes Smiting, cleaving, stone, 2xIron

W: 18 Warriors, full command
w/Thane BSB, rune of battle, courage, determination
w/Runesmith, shield, 3x Rune spellbreaking

V: Organ Gun
T2: 10 Thunderers
B2: Bolt Thrower, Engineer, Rune of Penetrating
XB: 10 Quarellers
C2: Cannon with Forging, Burning

Beast Troops of Goodness and Light: Right to left: C1: Beast Chariot
F: Furies (cloud runners)
RS: Rat Spawn and body guard. Ratspawn, DB, und,w/ Hvy Armor, shield, Hellfire sword
Body guard: 5 Minotaurs und (Rat Ogres), champ, standard, great weapons
H1: 5 Chaos hounds (Giant Rats)
R1: 3 Minotaurs, und, gr.weapons (Rat Ogres)
S1: 1 Spawn of Slaanesh
B1: Beastherd: 7 Gors, 6 ungors, full command
w/Wargor, chaos armor, great weapon
H2: 6 Chaos hounds
R2: 3 Minotaurs, und, gr.weapons
S2: Spawn of Slaanesh
C2: Beast Chariot
H3: 5 Chaos hounds
R3: 3 Minotaurs, und, gr.weapons
B2: Beastherd: 7 Gors, 6 ungors, full command
w/Wargor, Armor of Damnation, great weapon
R4: 4 Minotaurs, und, gr.weapons
R5: 4 Minotaurs, und, gr.weapons

We rolled and found out we had 1 objective that was worth 600 vp!! (+400 to get it, -200 if you fail) and table quarters do not count.
My objective, kill a wizard. Since he had none, I roll and get, Kill the general. Great. His guy was tough and I'd have a damn hard time, doing this one.

His objective, Rout. He had to get half of my units fleeing at some point in the game. Since I had 16 units, he had to have 8 of them run.

We rolled off to see who went first and he won. He chose to go first. I didn't mind, since I also would have let him go first. If I could get his general to run, on turn 6 I didn't want him to have a chance to rally. And 70% of his shooting was out of range on turn 1.

**********************
I took the side I did because I felt if he took my table side, he could deploy everything to the right and I'd have only 2 paths into his area. A prospect I wasn't real fond of.

But from this side, I could fit through the gaps without too much interferance.
I wanted to put Ratspawns unit in the middle. But knew if I was going to kill his general I really needed Ratspawn to charge his general and I'd have 1 shot at it.

I really felt like my opponent made a mistake with the Long beards. I felt he should have put them on the left flank for a little protection there, for all his shooty stuff.

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home