Monday, November 20, 2006

Weekend in Review

Just wanted to give a quick recap. Had a fantastic weekend. About the only thing that would have made it better was a game of Warhammer, which I didn't get in.

But some of the big highlights:

1. The Who concert on Friday night. Wow, those guys can still sing and put on an awesome show. The Pretenders, a fav group from the 70's that I loved, made a surprise appearace and did a 1 hour opening set. Christine Hynde sounds as good as she ever did and still looks fantastic. I didn't even know they were going to be there. I'd never had a chance to see them live before, so this was really, really sweet.
The who was just fantastic. Still great showmanship. Roger Daltry can still belt them out, though he cannot hit those high notes anymore. ;-) It didn't matter, it was still The Who. Peter Townsend can still play a guitar like nobodies business. A couple times I thought they went too long with the instrumentals, but overall I give the show a definite A-. Not quite as good as the Paul McCartney show I saw last year, but definetely worth going to. A full 2 hours and they sang about every hit they had as well as their complete new mini-album they put out this summer.

2. Move to Saturday where I got to spend almost 2 full hours painting. My goal is to have all 20 of the Rat Ogres finished by the end of November. I got another one finished and 2 more about 80% done. After these 2 I only have 2 left.

3. Did some family time playing some Putt-Putt and video games. I play Soul Caliber 2 and beat the game on the highest level and then whipped butt on car racing as well. Came home and watched Monster House. Fun little movie that I highly recommend.

4. On Sunday I had my Warhammer League Draft that went very well. Got a couple resources I think I'll enjoy using. The league is 8 games long over 16 weeks. You have 2 weeks to schedule and play your game. You have to pick your army, but can change the makeup every game. I'll be playing Chaos Beastmen Undivided.
For resources I have 36 made up. You start with 2 and get one for every game you win. You can bring up to 3 to any game. So while you might have 7 or 8 by the end of the year, you just have a little better selection than the guy with only 3.
We drafted in reverse order of how you finished last year, so I drafted next to last.
I picked up one resource that gives me a free re-roll in the game, even against miscast. And a Chrystal ball, which lets me know all the magic items and special abilities of 1 unit/character during the game.
Definetely not bad.

5. Then made it home in time to see the Cowboys whip up on the Colts. What a great game. The Cowboys really needed it.

6. And at the MAWL draft I got my general for my next army from Brett Amundson. It is just fabulous looking. I cannot thank him enough for painting it for me. I'll unveil it and post some pictures soon. Thanks again Brett. For those who don't know Brett's work, just check out the army featured below this post.

Anyway today I'm having to do a lot of work on the League so not sure how much I'll get to post today.

I hope everyone else's weekend went as well as mine. And have a great day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAWL? I assume this is the name of your local playing group?

9:09 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

MAWL = Metroplex Area Warhammer League.

The official warhammer league of the DAWGS.

DAWGS = Dallas Area War Gamers Society.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, just making sure I'm catching everything.

Thanks again Ben

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance of getting a look at the rules you're using for the league/ressources?

Always looking for cool rule systems for similar stuff ...

Cheers, Mutter

8:14 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Sure, I'll post the website once we get it finished. Its still in the works. Here is last years webpage:

http://omega.uta.edu/~ajc1777/index.htm

So take a look at let me know what you think. We've made a few tweaks for this year, but not many.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home