Thursday, November 16, 2006

Bretts vs Skaven BR wrapup

First off this was against a guy I met in Mexico who took me around Monterey and showed me a great time. This was our first game and Ricardo is a top class guy with a magnificent army.

I felt he really deployed badly. We talked for a while after the game on what he should have done differently.

1. If I was him I would have deployed more to one side. Maybe keep one knight unit on the flank with the hill for protection.

2. I would have put the archers and trebuchet on the hill.

3. Putting the Pegasus knights on the hill made them a target.

4. On the more open terrain in the middle I would have ran his other 4 lances, with 2 up front and 2 hanging back as wing men.

5. After having not done that, I might have kept a lance or his pegasus knights on my tunnel marker. Bretts cannot let people into their backfield. The chance of being cutdown is just horrible.

6. After having none of that, I might have pushed the edge more. I moved up to stay about 17-18" away and out of charge range on turn 1. He then moved up only about 5-6" to stay out of my charge range. With my skaven slaves in front, I would have definetely pushed this. I would have run the lances across the middle of the board.
Then I would have had a lot more trouble trying to go after flanks and such. It would have been too congested. Then possible overruns definetely end up hitting units, or running off the board.

7. On turn 2 when he charged, that was ok, but overkill to the max. He should have hit the flanks with both units and then restrained pursuit. He could have easily moved up his 3rd unit to act as flank guard.

8. The right flank he was kind of screwed on. Not a lot he could do with the slaves bearing down on him. He could have tried to manuever around them, but it would not have worked. He needed to push that side definetely on turn 1, and get away from the edge that locked him in.

9. The charge of the night runners by the questing knights was just horrible. He had 2 units coming in on the flank side that were ranked up. He could have ignored the night runner completely and pushed to charge the giant rats.

Things I learned:
1. The flee and flank still works as well as ever.

2. The divert and flank still works as well as ever.

3. Magic still has to be reckoned with.

4. I still prefer more units and less magic items.

5. Bretonian flanks are still the juiciest in the world.

6. Rat swarms are great for using the cutdown rule. As are tunnel teams popping up, taking out a warmachine and then running behind a unit to cut it down when it breaks.

Good luck.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd-ball random question:

Does anybody play TK's at higher end tourney's? I don't think I've ever heard mention.

If not, why do you that is Ben?

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home