Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Battle Report Skaven vs Bretonians

This was the Battle of the Alamo all over again. But from Mexico came the smaller Bretonian knights. From Texas the overwhelming number of vermin.

The Bret army looked like:
General with stuff
2 heroes with stuff
BSB with stuff
1 wizzie chick with 2 scrolls

Questing knights w/hero and chick
2 knights of the realm units
2 knights errant units
4 Chicken wing riders
1 unit fast cav with archers
10 archers
1 trebuchet

Overall it was a beautifully painted army as can be seen here:


He put his questing knights on the far left flank.
Next to them was a hill that he put his pegasus knights and trebuchet.
In the middle he put his 2 errant knights and KoR. They held his general & BSB.
then his archers. Then fast cav and on the far right flank he had his other Knights of the realm with paladin.

He prayed of course and so I went first.

Turn 1. I move everything up a bit but still well out of his charge ranges.
Magic he shut me down and the jezzails killed a knight.

Turn 1b. He moves up his army. Stays out of my charge range so is about 12" out.
His magic does nothing as his spell is oxen stand. His fast cav killed a couple gutter runners.
His trebuchet guess was short of hitting clanrats but does kill half a dozen skaven slaves.

Turn 2: Tunnel team pops up and charges trebuchet. wipes them out but stays behind the hill to keep the pegasus knights from charging.
I move up to setup several traps. 2 slave units in the middle move up and turn 45 degree angels.
My magic is successful killing 2 pegasus knights. Jezzails kill another knight from his generals unit.

Turn 2b: Starting from the left. questing knights charge the night runners who flee and get away, leaving the questing knights hanging badly.
The 2 pegasus knights charge the giant rats, who stay, but panic when the night runners fled through them. So the pegasus knights catch the fleeing giant rats and land in the middle of my units on the left flank.
In the middle the 3 knight lances hit my 2 slave units. One in the flank and the other in the flank and front.
On the far right flank the KoR charge a slave unit only 2" in front of it. It flees and the KoR must move their full 16" and run them down. Leaving their flank open to my Plague Monk unit with Plague priest.

All his shooting at my Plague censor bearers but fail to wound.
In combat the one lance in the flank of the slaves, slaughters them, they break and are run down and it overruns into the other slave unit in combat. So it now has 3 lances on it. It is obliterated down to 3-4 slaves. So the one in front pursues, and runs them down, going a full 17" to run into my generals unit.
His generals unit that was in the flank tries to restrain, fails, so it turns to pursue and immediately runs into the other lance that had just joined the combat but is unable to pursue. So we got a little log jam there.

Turn 3: Giant rats into the flank of the questing knights. Clanrats into their front.
Plague Monks and Plague priest into the flank of the knights on the far right flank.
clanrats into the flank of the KoR that hit my generals unit in the pursuit.
Clanrats into the flank of his general's unit.
Plague Censors into his fast cav who flee.

This left only 1 unit of knights Errant in the middle with the BSB not in combat.

No magic as both wizards are in combat.
Shooting: 7 globes into the pegasi knights doing 3 wounds. Jezzail gets 5 shots in and kills off the last of the chicken wings. BBQ sause was being prepared.
Ratling gun rips off 11 hits on 2 dice into the unengaged Knights killing 5 of the 9.

In combat, The questing knights lose badly and break and run.
The paladin with the knights errant challenge, so my general accepts. We swap wounds, I win by a lot, knights break and run right into my 2 rat swarms to be cut down.

I drag down a knight errant in his generals unit and he only does 1 wound back. So I win by 4 and even with the re-roll from the bsb, he breaks and runs.

My valiant competitor conceded at this point. We still had one combat to fight but the game was over.

Just too many units. His flanks were not supported and I got him turning sideways. Always bad news for the Brets and their shiney armor.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read on another forum the tactic of faces brets with ranked up units turned odd angles to force the brets to line up combat at an angle for you to get flank changes. Thanks for showing me the validity and use of this tactic..my friend who is just trying out his brets will be much surprised at my TK forces decimating him....I hope

11:51 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I can try and do some pics to illustrate it further soon.

I didn't realize this was such an issue.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still very very new to the Gaming part of Warhammer Ben, I just happened to stumble across your blog by accident (maybe through a Warhammer yahoo group?) I've been reading the books since 6th ed came out but could not step into the hobby and gaming part of it until about July of last year when my wife expressed interest in the gorgeous models. I have maybe 75 games under my belt, and nothing in the way of competitive play. So, everything you say is carefully read for evaluation.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Well, very glad I could be of help.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So, everything you say is carefully read for evaluation."

You sure you want to do that? Ben seems to have a problem hanging on to the Bull DAWG spot.

Just kidding.

Paul (who has never beaten Ben)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

One bad tournament. Come on... ;-)

And besides Rick is as deserving as anyone.

Ben
Who has now split with Rick 2-2 in tournament or League games.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home