Wednesday, November 08, 2006

7th edition changes report

These are a list of things I noticed different in the armies I faced. They seem to be the new breed of army.

1. Very large units. If it wasn't the 70 man phalanx of Eternal guard it was 20 chaos hounds. And past that nearly every army I ran into my 25 man clanrat units were outnumbered. Only against Bretonians was it different. I ran into a 30+ man unit in every army except 1 at the GT.

2. Tons of static combat res. Be prepared to face an army with +7 or +8!! Combat res walking into comabt. If you can't face this, you are dead. Even in the flanks they will have +4 or +5 and probably do wounds better than you.

3. Things that kill things. Actual killy troops not just static combat res is what is needed. Run into a unit with +8 on combat res and add in 4-5 more from kills and you have a tough unit to beat.

4. Tooled up heroes. I'm seeing more and more heroes tooled up to really put a smackdown on their opponents. Don't be surprised by the Orc with 7 str 7 attacks. Oh yea!!

5. Magic, while I saw fewer lords. I expect medium magic to lead the way. I ran into very little only the Lvl 3 vamp with Lvl 2 Necro and book, was the heaviest magic army I ran into. So I did see a slight decrease in magic power. But when the vamp miscast on turn 6, he was definetely sweating it out. That could have made it a draw.

6. Still very minimal shooting. I did not lose a Ratling gun that I would not have lost in 6th edition. What I'm finding is I don't get to shoot as often, as I hang them back a bit more for protection, and am then more aggresive with them when they do get a shot.

7. Back to magic it is very worthwhile to keep a very high power spell in your spell list even if you never plan to cast it. The 5-6 misfire result seems to be the most common of the bunch. That allows you to cast a spell for free at its base casting cost. For VC its awesome with an 11+ casting of raise, or the 9+ dance spell. Can you say free comet, etc.. So when you roll that 2 & 6, don't automatically change the 6 to a one because you don't think you will ever get the 6 spell off.

8. Speed kills. Speed is super important with the new rules. Subtle change but speed overcomes a lot of mistakes in this edition. Can't quite put my finger on it.

9. Protect your battle line. Getting units behind your opponents battle line is uber-great. Having a small 40 point unit in the backfield cutting down broken opponents is so-so sweet.

10. Building rules rock. I love them. And since it counts as impassable for cavalry models, can you say auto-destroy.

Its all good. I think 7th edition is going to rock once we get some of the finer details ironed out.

Good luck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home