Wednesday, September 27, 2006

BR: Wood Elves vs Cult of Ulric, part 2

Turn 3b: I knew this would be a crucial turn. Things were starting to swing against the knights as their initial forceful impetus was ending.

Charged my general, bsb and last of the IC knights into the archers on the right. He stands and shoots but all the arrows bounce off their armor.
My hounds into the archers on the left.

That was it for charges.
My hounds both failed their rallies and headed for the board edge. The knights also failed and ran off the board. In magic I get off the spell to do str 4 hits and kill 2 wardancers. This was #3 and so I met my objective.
My units move around a bit. I forget to shoot at the wild riders on the right flank.

I start with the left most combat and the wild riders do 3 wounds to my knights. Needing 3+ to save I fail 2. Only the priest is left. He whiffs. So I lose by 3. Needing a 5 to stay, I make it!!
I did this combat first for the following reasons:
I I lost and fled it does not hurt anything else.
But if I won, the wild riders would flee into my hounds and be wiped out if they outran me.

I do the hounds next, hoping they will break the archers and overrun into the flank of the 2nd unit and help out my generals unit.
But with 4 attacks needing 4+ and 4+/3+, I do 0 wounds.
Then with 2 attacks, he hits both times and wounds both times. Ugghhh!!
So I have flank, and he has hill, 2 wounds, US, so I need a 5 to stay and stay!!!
His troops turn to face my wolves.

I do my general next. This was a mistake. But my general needing 3's to hit and 2's to wound, I do 1 wound. My priest kills 1 and a horse kills one. His attacks bounce off my armor and I win by 3, even with his rank, hill and US. He needs a 5, fails and breaks. I restrain due to my mistake in combat order. I didn't want to take the general or BSB out of range of the wardancer battle.

In that combat, the wardancer general wounds my priest. I kill a wardancer and I end up winning by 2. So as it turns out I didn't need the general/bsb to help out. He holds though. Uggghhh!! as I see the treeman right behind me.

Here is the end of turn 3b:


Turn 4a: Instead of charging the rear of my knights to save his wardancers, he was confident the general could still win that combat and moved the treeman after my generals unit.

He rallies his fleeing archers on the boards edge and backs his wild riders on my right flank behind the swamp.

It was his turn to forget his shooting and his way watchers started painting flowers on the inside walls of the house.

In combat we did the wild riders first. The 3 attack the priest and get a wound on him. With his 2 attacks back he hits twice but only wounds 1 time on 2+. He needed both wounds. He loses by 2 breaks and runs. He does get away and is on the top of the hill on my far left flank.

On the archer combat, he swings first and with 2 attacks he kills 2 more hounds. My hunt master can do nothing again. So this time I lose by 5. 2 wounds, hill, US and I have nothing. Needing a 4 not to break, I roll it. He expands out to 3 wide.

Finally, in the wardancer combat, he whiffs totally as do I. So static combat has me win by 1 with the standard as we are equal on US.

Here we are at that end of turn 4a:


Turn 4b: Now it is looking a lot more like its over.

My generals unit charges the rear of the archers.
My hounds in the middle charge the lone wizard, but are just out of range.
My priest fails to rally and scoots off the board.
But my fleeing hounds on my left flank rally and turn to face the wild riders.
The lone DOW guy that had been hiding since turn 1, comes out and shoots at the wild riders but misses.
I move my knights on the right flank behind the marsh.
Move the DoW cav up and fail to hit a wild rider with their bow shots.

I do my generals unit first and with my total of 10 attacks I kill 7 of the archers.
He fails to kill the huntmaster, breaks and is run down. I pursue with both to keep them out of range of the treeman.
In the wardancer combat, he does a few wounds, but I manage to save everyone of them. I then kill off the last of the wardancers and his general breaks and is run down.

This is the bad situation for the wood elves at the end of turn 4b:


Somewhere we got mixed up on turns and we were thinking this was the end of turn 5.

So we only played 1 more turn.

Turn 5a: final turn: He has no charges. backs his wild riders up, moves the 2 to the flank of my hounds.
Moves his archers up and shoots and kills the last WW knight with the priest that broke the wardancer general.
The treeman was just within 8 of the hounds so could not march and couldn't get in range to kill the priest. So did a strangle root on the hounds and killed a couple. They didn't panic.

Turn 5b: final turn. With no charges and the game in hand, I make no moves at all. Instead just stand and shoot at his wild riders. They all miss. Meaning in the full 5 turns, I didn't do a single wound with either DoW light cav units.

Here was the final battle positions:



As you can imagine it was a pretty nice win for the Cult of Ulric. I was up 300 vp from bonus points. General, 1 table quarter and I got my objective while he failed in his.

Final Tally:
Cult of Ulric: 1284 + 300 = 1584
Wood Elves: 1067 + 0 = 1067

And only a minor victory.

Hope you enjoyed it. Final thoughts and comments later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home