Thursday, September 28, 2006

Battle Summary and thoughts

Overall, it was a fun battle, but my opponent made some very serious errors right out of the gate.

1. Putting his Altered Lord right out front to get killed. This gave me a 200+ vp and he had done nothing. Leaving him back to pelt me with no armor save arrows was the way to play him and have him charge in after a treeman had tied up a unit.

2. Should have fled with the scouts. Actually the scouts should have been in the house, as there were only 5. While the waywatchers which are also not a bad combat unit, should have been in the woods. Since only 5 can shoot out of the house, 3 WW were wasted the whole game.
But if the scouts flee there, they easily make it away to rally and continue to pelt my knights and hounds.

3. The next round he charges the wardancers in, but can only get 3 in because of the scouts still covering up over half my frontage. If the scouts are not there the wardancers can get the whole unit in and have a much better chance of winning combat. Instead, they die along with the scouts.

4. The treeman not getting into combat I think was big. Strangle root is nice but he only got it off 2x and both times he only rolled 2 hits. He could have saved his general, killed my priest by charging in to the rear of my unit. This could have pulled it back to a draw.

5. I find this Cult of Ulric army to be very flimsy. I thought with all the armor it would be a tough army to take down, but my uncanny ability to roll 1's for armor saves is unparralleled in the world of Warhammer. 2 battles and I get a draw and a minor win that should have been a draw.

6. I have got to learn to play the army better if I'm going to be successful with it.

7. His archers on the hill should have fled from the hounds that charged their flank. By allowing this charge, it gave me a unit behind his wild riders to destroy them if they fled. It set me up for the scenario where I break them and overrun into the next unit and get to do attacks again. I was unlucky and him lucky that this did not happen.

8. Being free of fear, terror and panic checks while in combat is unbeleavably huge. Armies normally suceptable to those rules took a big step up in power levels.

9. Order of combat is even more important than I previously thought. So much so, I'm going to do another article on it.

10. I think I need to be more aggressive pushing units up. And giving more priest support to the base WW units. I'm not using my knight units in support of each other as I'm expecting them to win on their own. They do sometimes and sometimes not.
So better working together is what is needed.
So my plan for next battle is each of my 3 major units (IC, and 2 with priests) will have another unit to work with it. Instead of spreading them all over the battlefield. I need to do more of a weighted flank attacks. And less phalanx attack.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually alter lord cant be general

12:36 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

He wasn't. I don't think I actually said that. The Wardancer hero was the general.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home