Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Evaluating my GT perfomance

Overall I have to say I am proud and very happy with my performance. One of my goals is to always try to get into the top 10 (or 10% if over 100) in any event I attend.

I barely managed it, but did squeek into the top 10 with a 10th place finish.

And I was way off on my estimation that 213 would give me a shot at overall. That would have barely given me a 6th place finish but would have given me one of those fine awards they were handing out.

To break down my scores:
Overall: 207, goal: 213. So overall I fell short by 6 points. And that was the difference between walking home with some hardware and walking home with just door prizes and a hell of a good time.

Battle: 76, goal: 84. This is where I really fell down. I had set a lofty goal of 4 wins and 1 draw. But the loss in round 1 against David Long who ended up best general, was a tough one. I didn't know David going in and I took him too lightly. That won't happen again. This was my toughest first round opponent since I faced Jim Bailey in round 1 of the Hombre last year. I also wanted to capture 3 objectives but only got 2. I missed 1 by a couple wounds in the first game. And in the 3rd game, both of us achieved the objective, so neither of us got it. Uggghhh!!

JR points: 10, goal: 9. I was happy to see I finished every game on time. The top 14 players all got 10, so if you failed to get 10, you were just giving points away.

Painting: 60, goal: 55. I have to be happy here. I think the highest score here was 74, so I only gave up 14 points here. That gave me a shot, but battle and sports killed me.

Sportsmanship: 61, goal 65: 2 goals here really. First was to get at least 1 favorite opponent votes. I did, but didn't feel I deserved it. It was game 3, my dice were crap, I was tired, I ended up getting upset at my dice, and then won the game. Ugghhh!! the worst combo possible. So when my opponent came up and said he voted for me, I was surprised. But I thank him. It was an awesome game, that I thought he was winning, then I looked up and all his stuff was gone. I enjoyed the hell out of the game, even if I didn't show it the whole time.

2nd goal was no bad games. And I got 1 bad game. This disapoints me more than anything else from the tournament. As it turned out it cost me nothing as the 4 more points would have left me still 2 points behind for the 3rd best general award and 2 points behind for 3rd best overall award. It would have put me into 7th place overall in the standings but that would have been the only difference.

What disapoints me the most is someone didn't enjoy playing me. I've thought about it and I am almost certain I know who it was, and well I just can't blame him. His dice were crap, mine were super hot and things just didn't go his way. There were many right on the borderline charges. If I win the roll I hit the flank and win, if he wins the roll I hit the front and he wins. I won, killed his general and won the game.
If you read this, I promise to try and keep the game more enjoyable next time.

So really only the combination of failing in not getting my no bad games and one more objective, cost me the 3rd best overall award.
But I'm very happy with my results and the way things went. Now onto painting my next army. Pics will be posted soon.

And I still have more army pics, Battle reports and that interview with David Bowman coming soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliments Ben, being compared to jim bailey is certainly nice to hear. :)
But I do think my victory was more do to luck than any clear difference in play. Both engineers killing themselves with no help from me goes a long way. You made no mistakes, but the dice didn't like you.

The bad game mark came up on a surprising (to me) number of people, including among the top finishers. You would have been justified giving it to me (whether you did or not) as I screwed up that rule horribly. I know I need to do better at sportmanship, but often I get to just wanting to finish the game. In your case, it is always tough to keep it fun when you have good dice and utterly crush the opponent.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Considering neither of us realized the mistake, it was tough to mark you down. ;) Don't worry I wouldn't have marked you down anyway. While I may have been cursing my own dice, I thoroughly enjoyed our game.

I did notice everyone of your opponents got a bad mark though. Hmmmm!!! Just kidding. Congrats again on Best general, well deserved.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home