Thursday, October 09, 2008

Centaurs of Cath-Tong BR part 2

When we left off my generals unit had just been dual charged but held their ground and we were in this situation for the start of turn 4.



Turn 4a: The centaurs needed to do some quick damage. Both Knight units on the far right charge the minotaurs at the bottom of the hill.
And the marauder fast cav charge the chariot in the flank. (the one fighting my general's unit.

The 2 fleeing marauder centaurs rallied and ran over by one of the Level 2 shamans.
In magic, I cast my Nurgle spell at one of the Beastigors in combat, as that is the only guy I can see. (In retrospect, I don't think that is legal as the spell does not mention that you can cast this into combat.) Don't remember if he took a guy out or dispelled it.
I then cast flickering fire at the chariot with my wizard. He attempted to dispel and failed. I rolled and got 5 hits, but then when I went to roll strength, I got a '2'. So 5 str 3 hits. Managed 2-3 wounds, but he saved them all.

The 2 centaurs threw their axes at the beast shaman, but both missed.

In combat, the centaur knights again failed to wound the spawn and expanded getting out of the LOS of the waiting minotaurs.

I then did the double knights on the minotaurs, and with the 32 attacks I generated, the entire minotaur unit was destroyed. I then overran with both. The hero's unit with banner of fury plowed into the minotaurs at the edge of the table, but the other knight came up about 2 inches short of hitting the back side of the beastigor unit.

In the big combat, the knights with general and wizard, killed off 6 beastigors, but failed to wound the chariot. His beastigors cannot swing back, and the chariot manages to kill a single marauder centaur.
I win combat by a bunch, and the beastigors flee and are cut down by the knights behind them.
But the chariot, needing insane courage, gets it. Ugghhh!!!
So my genera's unit turn to face the chariot.

And we end up with this setup at the end of my turn 4.



Turn 4b: The beastmen, knew they had to do something quick.
The beastherd charges the flank of the marauders in combat with the chariot.
The 2 shamans charge the 2 marauders.
The spawn charges the rear of the knights fighting the first spawn.
His last chariot spins around for next turn.
And his Minotaurs spin around to face the flank of my knights.
In magic, he frenzies his herd.

In combat we do the spawn combat first. My only hope is to do enough wounds to kill both spawn. So I split up my attacks and actually do no wounds!! He does none as well.
We then do the Minotaur combat. With my 32 attacks of strength 4 to 7, I again wipe out the entire minotaur unit and run off the board.

He then has his 2 shamans beat up on my 2 marauders with their braystaffs, killing both and overrunning, but did not go off the board.

Finally, in the big combat, again we got into a challenge, but his Foe-render could not get past my general's armor, and I struck him down even doing an overkill wound.
But his Gors were able to kill off all 4 marauder centaurs!! I was only able to put a couple wounds on the chariot, and he wins combat by 2.
So needing a 6, or the insane courage special rule of the banner, and I roll and '11', and the knights, general and nurgle shaman turn and flee. Both units pursue and the chariot catches them.

Leaving us with this situation:



Note that the knights at the far top right are actually off the board.

Turn 5a: This is easy, knights charge into the frenzied herd.
Other knights move back on the table and hope to get in charge range of the last chariot.

Turned my wizard around and tried to cast flickering fire into the minotaurs and he used his last dispel scroll.

In combat, I killed off the spawn in front of me. Leaving the one behind, with 2 wounds on it.
The knights slaughtered the frenzied herd fairly well, but enough ungors had spear attacks and drug a knight down. I still won by a lot and broke them, running them down and capturing their standard.
But then in the overrun I only go 8" and came up 1" short of hitting the chariot.
Sorry, picture here was corrupted and lost.

Turn 5b: Minotaurs into the flank of the knights.
Chariot into the front of the knights.
2nd chariot spins around for a turn 6 charge.
2 shamans drop in behind my other knights and blast them with double strength 6 magic missiles and kill 2.

In combat, the minotaurs quickly hacked down 3 knights with their attacks, and I failed all 3 armor saves.
This gave me only 1 knight to attack the spawn, and I do 2 wounds to it and kill it.
So I lose combat by 2, and need a 6 to hold, and I make it!!

The chariot hits my 4 Centaur knights and does 2 wounds, but I do 3 wounds back to the chariot and win combat. I don't outnumber him, but he still needs a good number to hold, and he makes it.



Turn 6a: I attempt to charge the last chariot with my Fury knights, but am a couple inches short.
My shaman spins and moves towards his shamans and attempts to cast his spell, but it is dispelled.

In combat, My knight on his minotaurs swings first. With his 2 attacks and steed attack, I get 3 hits and 3 wounds and kill a minotaur!!! Then with his 6 str 6 attacks back, he fails to get a single hit.
So I win 4 (3 W + banner) to 2 (flank, US). He needs a 6 to hold, fails and I run him down!!!

My other knights easily kill off the chariot they were fighting. But are stuck there.

Turn 6b: There is only 1 charge as the chariot smacks into the flank of my 2 knights.
His hounds race up to control the ancient stone.
And his shamans move to get in range of my Fury knights.

In magic he gets off both magic missiles again, but in a bout of insane armor rolling, he only kills 2 and fails to wound my hero.

In combat, 3 impact hits plus the 4 attacks from the chariot equal zero wounds on my knights!!! My knight then does 2 wounds back, breaks the chariot and runs it down!!

Leaving us with this final setup:



In total 11 models left on the board. 2 shamans and 3 hounds for him. 4 knights from 3 units, 1 wounded sorcerer, and 1 uninjured exalted hero.
The hounds claimed the historic monument, and no one else was large enough to claim or contest a table quarter.
Both general's were gone, mine scattered in the overrun, his sucked up into the warp.
I still had 2 banners (the cheese markers) from running down 2 herds. I lost one that the 2 marauders were carrying. And was unable to capture the beastigor one.
My general's unit lost their banner to the herd, but then they were broken by the other knights.

When all the vp were added up, I was ahead by around 370 victory points, giving me the minor, hard fought win.

I'll take it. Trevor is always an outstanding opponent and runs his army with expert skill. Only sheer luck of armor saves, whiffage of attacks and a lucky break test, won this game for me.

I'll definetely have to sharpen my skills with this army before I run it to a GT.

Hope you enjoyed it, feel free to leave comments.

Until next time...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear God Man! Such carnage, truly the warhammer world would be a chaotic husk if not for this sort of battle whittling down the forces of Chaos.

Awesome report, did it feel like mortals list was OverPowered like so many people are saying?

12:02 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

No, I think Warriors of chaos can hold their own against the usual armies, but against the monster lists of Daemons, VC and Dark Elves, it will struggle. It is, IMO, the weakest of those 3.

A lot has to do with my list also and how I played it.

I'm playing a small tournament Sunday with this list. I'll let you know how I do.

2:47 PM  
Blogger David said...

Great writeup, Ben. Are you coming to the invitational?

7:11 PM  
Blogger Sigmar said...

Great report. Would you mind if I added it to my Warhammer Battle Reports hub:-

2d6.blogspot.com

Sigmar
my Warhammer Battle blog

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home