Monday, October 22, 2007

Battle in the Desert Report game 3

Game 3: vs Lizardmen

Game 3 was against a good friend of mine, Ron Brown. We always talk list discussions and have played a few times. He is a good player, but easily gets bored with strong lists and takes them weaker and weaker just to see what he can get away with.

Again, I was placed on the Pyramid table. I didn't mind because the Pyramid offers you a chance to gain an extra 100 vp and victory points were being used for any tie breakers.

This time I took the other side of the table, because the side I was on in the round 2 battle was just hotter than hell. While on my side now, there was a fan right overhead that felt great. Advantage ME.

His army looked like from left to right.
First he had a line of 40 skirmishing skinks that went all the way across his battle line.
20 with blowpipes, 20 with javelins.
Behind them were
3 Kroxigor
Stegadon
3 Kroxigor
3 terradons (behind the pyramid)
18 Saurus warriors with BSB Saurus hero on cold one
18 Saurus warriors with Hero General on cold one
lvl 1 skink priest scroll caddy
3 salamanders
Lord level saurus with nike shoes, 2+ armor save 5+ ward save. Magic sword of whoop ass.

I won the roll off and decided to let him go first.

Turn 1a: Up come all the skinks, everything else a bit behind.

Turn 1b: I'm feeling a bit punchy and charge several hounds into the skinks. But I'm about 15" out and fail. He stands and shoots and kills a couple hounds.

turn 2a: Kroxigor on far left charge spawn through the skinks. But because the skinks were only an inch away, he had to shift them heavily and only 1 krox actually made contact.

Skinks all move up and shoot, salamanders move up and shoot. Few wounds here and there, nothing big.
Lord moves over behind sphynx.

Krox does only 1 wound to spawn. I do a wound back.

Turn 2b: Unit of 4 minotaurs, down to 3 now after shooting, wants to charge skinks right in front of them. But he will flee and it will put me right in front of the stegadon. But I charge with both them and the beast herd about 8" away, and they flee from the herd since its larger. He still flees and I catch them. The herd doesn't go far enough to be charged and the Minotaurs are now on the flank of the steg and out of charge arc for him.

3 Minotaurs into Krox in combat with the spawn. I move the hounds up to block the other krox.
lots of charges on skinks on the right. After its all said and done, some hounds end up in front of the saurus blocks after running down 2 fleeing hounds. salamanders fled a charge and got away.
Spawn ran into last skink unit. Killed a couple, but they held.

Moved 3 minotaurs around corner of sphynx. Lord would now have to charge them or move into center.
In magic phase I made the Minotaurs fighting the Kroxigor to now cause terror. So hopefully even a minor win would mean he would need insane courage. As it turns out, I rip him badly and he probably would have needed it anyway. I kill 2, the last one breaks and is run down. The 3 minotaurs hit the stegadon behind. The spawn doesn't make it.
I moved the herd so I could see the terradons, but miscast.

Turn 3a: Lord on foot, charges my hounds in front of the Saurus. Hounds flee and are wiped out. Lord is now out in the middle by himself.
Kroxigor charge hounds in front of them, they flee and are caught.
Terradons charge my beast herd to take out my wizards. 6 attacks on one shaman and only 1 wound. 3 attacks on the other no wounds. I kill one terradon, they fall back and rally.
Spawn wipes out all but 2 skinks, they break and run. I choose to restrain since they cannot rally. I didn't want to hit the saurus blocks.

Minotaurs on stegadon do 3 wounds. He does 1 back, I win, he holds because of stubborn.

Salamanders rallied. Skink priest ran into General's unit to avoid furies.

Turn 3b: Oh yea, this game is looking good.
3 Minotaurs into flank of stegadon
Herd into flank of kroxigor. Failed my fear test ugghh!!
Spawn moves into terradons, but only rolls 5" on 3d6. So he can stand and shoot even though he is only 4" away. He kills the spawn.
Chariot and unit of 4 minotaurs into Lord saurus on foot. After impact hits, a str 4 attack, 3 str 5 attacks and 6 str 6 attacks. I did nothing. The Lord does only 1 wound back. So I have unit strength and its a draw.

Minotaurs hack down the stegadon. skinks flee, I pursue with both, kill them.

Move 3 minotaurs and 5 furies to threaten salamanders.

Turn 4a: terradons back into herd again to pick off shamans. Whiffed on shamans, killed 3 gors. But I kill both terradons.
Generals saurus block charges flank of minotaurs fighting Lord Saurus. Between saurus block, hero general and Lord, they kill off the minotaurs. Chariot flees and smashes into sphynx.

BSB's unit turns around to face Minotaurs coming around left flank.
Salamanders spit at furies and kill 3. Leaving 2.

Kroxigor turn around to face herd.

Turn 4b: Ratspawn and Co charge flank of his general's saurus unit.
3 Minotaurs and furies charge the salamanders.
both herds and spawn charge the kroxigor. But herd on far left, fails fear test again and stands there.

Move hound unit up, so Lord on foot can only charge them.
He flees with his generals unit and gets away.
I move the other 2 minotaur units to face the BSB unit. Out of his charge range, but in mine.

In combat, Minotaurs and furies kill all but 1 salamander and a couple skinks. They need insane courage and fail. Furies pursue and wipe them out. Minotaurs restrain.

Herd and spawn only manage a single wound on the kroxigor. But they only manage 2 wounds back. With unit strength, rank and banner I win by 2. The Krox fail their break test and are run down.

Turn 5a: Lord charges hounds. Generals unit rallies and faces Ratspawn. BSB runs over to generals unit for one last stand.

Lord on foot kills 3 hounds. Last 2 hounds break and run, but get away.

Turn 5b: Ratspawn and Co into front of generals unit. Minotaur unit that just killed salamanders into flank.
Both minotaur units charge into the front of other Saurus block.
Chariot into Lord Saurus on foot.

Herds move to capture quarters and Pyramid. No magic.

Chariot impact hits manage a wound. And then the Beastigor with great weapon kill the Saurus Lord. I overrun but need about 17" to hit the Saurus block, only roll 13".

Then do combat with no heroes. 5 Minotaurs attack and kill 6 Saurus, so no swings back. Now outnumbered by fear causers, so insane courage, he flees and is caught. Needed about 10" overrun to get Minotaurs into other flank of final saurus block with general, BSB and skink priest. I don't roll high enough.

Final combat, I challenge and his general accepts. He has sword of hornet so swings first and puts 2 wounds on Ratspawn. I put 4 on him though, killing with 2 overkill. Minotaurs then just go for Saurus and put another 6 wounds on them.

That left only the BSB and skink priest to swing back. He does a couple wounds, but not enough. When it was added up, I won by 6. So insane courage again, on 3d6 with the re-roll from the BSB.

He fails them both and I chase him down. Not a single Lizardman model left on the board.

He let me do my turn 6 move, so I got 3 table quarters, the pyramid, +100 for his general, and +300 from standards. So with the 2244 points for the army I picked up a whopping 3044 victory points!!! Holy crap.

He ended up with about 550.

The guy that was 2-0 lost, leaving 2 of us at 2-0-1. But he only had about 1800 vp in his last game. So I felt pretty good heading into the awards.

And when they announced 2nd best general and it wasn't me. I knew I had pulled it out. Sure enough...

Best General: Ben Burns.

Very sweet victory for my Beastmen.

I won a limited edition Resin casting of a Mummy coming out of a coffin as my trophy. It is very nice. I'll post some pics.

And I won the GW box set of the Chapel. Something that looks very nice, that I probably would have never bought for myself.

If you read this far, I hope you enjoyed it.

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home