Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Chaos Spawn/ Ratted out

I worked on my chaos spawn this last weekend as well. I've already started painting them, but these pics are pre-painting.

I built 2, so I'll call them #1 and #2.

While I was working from the same basic model, I still wanted them to look a lot different from each other.

Also since these were Failed Rat Ogre experiments, they still needed to have some Rat Ogre parts showing on them. Here is what I came up with.

Failed Rat Ogre #1:


I did a lot of the standard Chaos spawn stuff with this spawn. The spawn head is normal, and many of the claws coming out are normal. I did add a Tyranid claw on the back that is a bit larger than normal.
Now the big changes: I added the dual split Rat Ogre arms instead of the standard spawn arm. This actually required a lot of modification to make it work, because of the beveled socket they have there.
Also, though hard to see, on the left side is a Rat Ogre head where the tentacles usually go. This required a bit of modification to as I had to remove an ear to make it fit right.

Then onto the greent stuff:


Mainly I was filling gaps, but I also was adding transition skin for most of the joints. The arm needed a lot of greenstuff since it didn't fit very well on the bottom portion.
For the Rat Ogre head, what I did was really different. Its kind of hard to tell, but I connected the tail to the head and created a sort of deformed, body for the head. So instead of a tail there is a loop in the body. It also has a small hand coming out as well.
Also, when I was done, I realized the 2 spawn still looked way too much alike. I decided it was because both had that hump in the middle of their tops. So I took the unused tentacles from this model and with some greenstuff added them to the top of the creature. as you can see.
Here is a shot from the backside:


Now onto Spawn #2:


This is the more traditional spawn. It has the standard arm and tentacles where they belong, but I put 2 Rat Ogre heads on this one. One on each side of the body. This makes for an interesting look.
I also added 2 small claws and 1 tyranid larger claw.

The only real mod needed was the plastic head in front. It had a large ball joint on the back that had to be chopped off. And it still didn't fit real well into the socket there.

Then the green stuff:


Here we had a lot of the same. Mainly filling in gaps and creating transition skin between the pieces and the main body.

And here is a shot from the back side.


Well, let me know what you think.

Until next time...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very very cool. I think the spawns are a nice model by themselves, (I won one once for being the Chaos Spawn in a store campaign "losingest player" wasn't humane enough). With the Rat Ogre parts they can easily be identified as your army stuff. Can't wait to see the paint scheme.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home