Friday, October 27, 2006

BR: Summary and Lessons

That was some battle verse the Stunty Dwarfs. Greg put up an excellent fight and proved to me Dwarfs are very much a force to be reckoned with now.

The Anvil is just nasty, nasty, nasty. It is an almost guaranteed 12" charge from any Dwarf unit on the board. And makes Miners a very good buy.

I had my deployment laid out in my head before we started and I stubbornly would not change it when I should have. I had 3 clanrat units on the right side of the field to face off with 1 slayer unit. Very stupid.

Then my giant rats and plague monks were facing off with Dwarf units one on one.

I should have just tied up the slayers in turn 2 or 3 and pushed the other units right on past and into the fight. I needed to get to the anvil to tie it up, but I couldn't get anything past his shield of long beards until turn 6.

Lucky for me he didn't get off either master rune he attempted, but he also didn't roll any bad results on the misfire chart either.

Stubborn warmachines are sick. They just stand there until you actually kill them.

If your opponent is making his armor saves, there is very little you can do about it. I have faced a few dwarven units and it seems like I just bounce off of every one of them. Even a 3+ save just gets sick after a while. Luckily Dwarfs cannot catch anything they pursue.

Lessons learned:
1. If there is an anvil, get to it and tie it up to stop him from using it. Unstoppable movement spells are very sick.
2. Slayers can be nasty now, but just hit them with something to tie them up. Don't let one unit hold up an entire flank.
3. When units are overlapping fleeing in the same direction. Start at the furtherest from the table and work towards the edge.
4. Charging uncrewed warmachines is the bomb!!
5. Dwarf armor still needs to be respected.
6. Dwarf leadership is disgusting.
7. Ratling guns are still useful, you just have to protect them more.
8. With the extra wounds from the miscast chart, I'm guaranteed to hand my opponent at least 1 warlock per game.
9. Miscast 5 is what you want when facing dwarfs. ;-)
10. With 5 wide, you lose ranks, so much faster than before. And for skaven that means losing leadership faster than before.
11. I need to boost up my Giant rats and plague monk units. So where do I get the extra points from?
12. Adding in a BSB would be great, but now I have to drop a character as well.
13. Nevery charge your general into combat after he has already been wounded.

Until next time, good luck.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a TK player who is a little leary of putting my precious priests and especially my Hierophant in a unit of horsemen that die far to easily I would love to hear your ideas on protecting those outlying models, such as your ratling guns. I am assuming it would be done in the same manner, for the same reasons, ie they are useful, but lose some of that usefulness when confined in a group, or in your case, cannot be confined in a group.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home