Monday, October 23, 2006

Battle Report: Dwarfs vs Skaven part I

I got a battle in this last weekend. It was against an excellent player using a very well put together Dwarf list. It was the typical Dwarf Leadership and armor verse the massive Skaven horde.
I hope you enjoy the report.

Skaven List: Velsquee's Vermintide.
Characters:
Warlord Velsquee w/Great Weapon, Heavy Armor
Plague Priest Juhel w/Flail
Warlock Squelch: full kit w/Warp-stone charm & Storm Daemon
Warlock Squeek: full kit w/ 2xDispel Scrolls

Core:
25 Clanrats w/ LA, HW, Sh, Standard, musician
24 Clanrats w/ LA, HW, Sh, Standard, musician
24 Clanrats w/ LA, HW, Sh, Standard, musician
24 Clanrats w/ LA, HW, Sh, Standard, musician
Ratling gun team
Ratling gun team
20 Slaves w/ HW, musician
20 Slaves w/ HW, musician
20 Slaves w/ HW, musician
20 Slaves w/ HW, musician
18 Giant Rats & 3 pack masters w/ HW & whip
18 Giant Rats & 3 pack masters w/ HW & whip
2 Rat Swarms
7 Poison Wind Globadiers w/ HW & globes
6 Night Runners w/ HW, ex. Hand weapons
6 Night Runners w/ HW, ex. Hand weapons

Special:
19 Plague Monks w/ HW, Standard, musician
5 Jezzails w/ HW, pavise, jezzail
6 Tunnel runners w/HW, ex HW, poison hand weapons, tunneling
6 Gutter runners w/ HW, ex HW, poison hand weapons

Rare:
6 Plague Censor Bearers w/ Plague censor

Total Points: 2248

Dwarf List:
RuneLord on Anvil w/Runic Armor: Master rune of Gromril, Runic Talisman: 2x Rune of Spell breaking, Rune of spell eating. Gromril armour.
Dwarf guards.

Thane w/Gromril armour, BSB, runic weapon: Rune of swiftness, cleaving, strength, Snorri Spangelheim. Runic armor: Rune of stone.

19 Longbeards, full command, rune of battle. (BSB in here)
20 Troll slayers.
12 Miners gr. weapons, heavy armor, standard, musc.
20 Warriors Hvy armor, shield, standard, musc.
20 Warriors Hvy armor, shield, standard, musc.
10 Quarrellers w/Light armor, crossbows
10 Quarrellers w/Light armor, crossbows

Malakai's Goblin Hewer
Organ Gun
Cannon w/Rune of Forging

Total points: 2250

We rolled random (4-6 pieces of terrain) and got 6 pieces. Hill, 2x trees, 2x scree and 1 watch tower. (3 levels, flyers may land on top.)

He placed first piece and hill went down. He then picked sides and chose the hill.

Here is a picture before turn 1:


As you can see, I cut off part, but you can see most of it.
From bottom to top. I had:
Gutter runners in the trees
Night runners #1
Clanrats #1 with warlock and ratling gun, slaves #1 in front of them.
Clarnats #2 w/warlord and slaves #2 in front of them.
Clanrats #3 w/ratling gun and slaves #3 in front of them.
Night runners #2
Rat swarms
Clarnats #4 w/warlock and slaves #4 in front of them.
Jezzails behind the tower
Giant rats #1
Plague monks w/Plague priest
Plague Cesor bearers
Poison wind globadiers
Finally, Giant rats #2 on the far top of the pic.

The dwarfs were:
Slayers
On the hill, organ gun,
2 crossbow units
Cannon behind the crossbows
Goblin hewer
Rune Lord w/anvil
Long beards w/BSB in front of anvil
Clansmen #1
Clansmen #2

My tunnel marker went right between cannon and organ gun.

We rolled and I won right to pick. Usually I choose to go 2nd, but with so much shooting, I felt going first was imperative. Not only reducing his shooting 1 round, but also increasing chances of tunnel team coming up quicker.
I went first.

Stay tuned for part 2 coming soon.

Please post comments or questions about the army lists, deployment, etc.. This was a warm up game for the Alamo, so while we didn't swap lists we talked freely about them. And I didn't drop my dispel scrolls just to face a dwarf player.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

having never played in a tourney setting and picking terrain (I have played 1 RTT with 5 other players one of which was my wife who got sportsman, but anyway) I'm assuming you placed the trees directly in front of the hill the dwarves are on, is this normal for competitive, or frowned upon?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Yes, I placed the trees there. I gave them a good 10" gap there. I've never seen it frowned upon unless you stick it 2-3" in front of the hill. He had plenty of targets and his shooting was pretty effective. But it allowed me to hide a few units coming up the middle.

Besides, he didn't have to take that side. He could have chosen the other side.

I think a hill in the deployment zone is super powerful. And if we are placing terrain and he puts one in a deployment zone. Don't I have the right to somewhat limit its strengths.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once I thought it through (Sheeze is it a monday), I realized your point about him not having to take the side, which is of course supposed to mitigate terrain imbalances. With TK playing SSC's I usually placed a hill in deployment as well, it's just that strong.

I would love to read a guide about tatical terrain placement and how to get a good handle on it. With so many variations I doubt I'll ever see one though.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice list. interested to see how it turns out. dwarfs are one of the thorns in my side with skaven. always give a run for the money. im sure with the ratlings now getting isolated will make things even tougher. although i do expect to see more bsb's in a skaven army, or all armies for that matter, given the additional +1 with an already fully ranked unit.

shaun g

10:22 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I'm running the exact same list as I did in the Lone wolf. Trying to see the differences in 6th and 7th better.

So no BSB. It will be making an entry into my army soon.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the warlock with the scrolls be named "squelch"? :)

Why take the same list to Alamo as you did Lonewolf, despite 7th edition changes? Certainly the 2 swarm bases are looking worthless in 7th.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Well for one, I want to overhaul the list, which means more painting. And thats not on the agenda yet.
For swarms, I've always had 100 uses for for them. Running them up to tie up enemies to delay them or get the flank the next turn was only the most useful. They will fill other rolls now.
And I'm interested how the same list will work. What I am finding out is how quickly I lose ranks on giant rats and plague monks now. Wow!!
Ratlings are still very useful, you just have to be careful with them.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home