Thursday, October 26, 2006

Tactic of the week

Todays tactic is pretty simple really, right up until you screw it up and it costs you the game. I did this in my last battle. As it turned out if I had failed the second test it would have cost me the game as I had 280 points in the unit. Since the Dwarf player was up by 50 or so, this 280 would have made it just over the limit for a minor victory.

So here is the initial setup:


In this situation I have 2 units close to the table edge. Both are fleeing.

My initial impulse was to attempt to rally the one closer to the edge first. So if it failed and the 2nd one failed, the 2nd one would not get leaped off the field, but have another chance to rally.

What happened was, the 1st one rallied, and the 2nd unit did not.



Unit #2 continued to run through the newly rallied unit. Like this:


Causing a new panic test. This was a horrible disaster. The newly rallied unit was missing a rank, and had my warlock in it. So right after having made a Ld 6 rally test for them, I was forced to make a Ld 7 panic test for them. Not a good plan at all. If I failed this they would have been off the table.

So the questions you have to ask yourself.
1. If I roll for unit #2 first, it leapfrogs over one and if 1 fails, it then leapfrogs over #2 and you lose it quicker.
2. If your general is in one of the units, this may make a difference, raising your chances to rally the #2 unit.
3. But is it worth the risk to rally your general first and then possibly take another panic test right away.

Anytime you pick up the dice to roll for a psych test, you are risking something bad happening to your army. Even if you have a Leadership of 10.

My recomendation is roll to rally unit #2 first. Then roll to rally #1. If they fail, they get to the board edge a bit faster. But if either makes it, lets keep it on the table, don't force yourself to roll more psych tests. Let your opponent do that.

Good luck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home