Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tactic of the Week

This weeks tactic is made available by the new 7th edition rules.

I call it Squeeze the Edge. This works really well with those large cavalry units we like to see so much of and everyone is expecting to see a lot more in the future.

If you will remember I pulled this same tactic on my son in our battle. But he had another unit to help out.

Here is the original setup. My opponent has a unit of Boar Riders. If they are savage orc it makes it even easier as they are forced to charge.


My units consist of a slave bait unit, a unit of giant rats and a unit of clanrats.

This is a basic variation of the typical flee and flank with the added bonus of in 7th ed the enemy may not redirect but is forced to continue on his regular path.

In the above pic you can see that there is no room for the 125 mm wide unit to get through, but there would be room for my 100 mm unit to make it if I wanted to charge him. But I'm also happy to sit here and wait for him to charge. Like I mentioned before if he is frenzy, he would have no choice but to charge.


In the above picture here, the boar boyz have charged and my slaves fled. I rolled a 9, so I move 10" and they get away. So the boar boyz fail their charge and only run 7". This leaves their flank wide open to my giant rat unit. An easy charge here leaves them at a loss.


And in the case where I only roll a 5 and move 6", my slaves are run down but the Orc Boar Boyz still move 14" and expose their flank to the waiting clanrats. Again an easy victory for the clanrats.

Thats it for today, happy hunting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, don't think I completely got it - did you change camera position in between pics?

Guess I do get the tactic, but fail to see why it is 7th ed. specific ...

Any chances of real diagrams?

Cheers, Mutter

3:24 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Yea, sorry about that. I was trying to go from both players perspectives, but it probably just looks confusing.

The reason it is specific to 7th ed is because of the flaw in the flee and flank tactic.
In 6th edition, when the slaves flee the Orcs redirect into the G.Rats.
If they flee, the Clanrats are still in the front and if the G.Rats hold, then they will probably be broken and the orcs overrun outside the charge arc.

Now it is really easy to pull off the flee and flank.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home