Friday, September 08, 2006

7th ed rule change evaluation

I have now had a chance to go through the entire new set of rules and get a feeling for how they will play.

First off, let me say, as time goes on, new books will come out to correct certain discrepencies (like beasts only going 4 wide) and I believe by convention people will begin to play certain rules a specific way through GW errata or Direwolfs FAQ, etc.. at tournaments. So I want comment on things like that.

Let me comment on the obvious rules and how they will play.

1. I love the straight forward flee rules. No more guessing which way guys go, it either goes or it doesn't. This solves more problems than you can imagine. I love the crossfire also. And the clear description of what you do if you think you should catch a breaking unit, but don't pursue far enough. Add in the clear rule on which way you flee if charged by multiple chargers and its much easier to catch a fleeing unit.

2. The no more redirection just EitW, is already stirring up a lot of controversy. I thought it was fairly straight forward, but I can see now it is not. Overall, I think I like the concept, they need to clean up the rules though. It can lead to some real disaster if you get a flying terror causer on your flank.

3. I love the new changes to the magic rules. End of story.

4. Can pick out characters, etc.. I don't mind this, just think there should be a modifier, and I think you should be able to hide behind a unit. Say anything within 1" behind a unit cannot be picked out. Its easier to shoot me there than if I'm sitting half in the woods??

5. Psych test changes. I really liked the clean up they did on it. Standard distance, need US 5 to panic people, etc.. But No psych in combat at all, I think they went a bit overboard. So above avg, but not great.

6. They totally blew the wording for turning a unit in combat, but I think once they clean it up, it will be good.

7. Working combats in order, and then getting a possible 2nd round of combat, I think is great. I really like this rule. Well, right up until someone uses it on me.

8. No more lapping??? I hate this. Well, I used it a lot, but realistically I always felt it was a bad thing. I sure as hell wish they had introduced sliding though to maximize models in the case of clipping. I hate seeing units fighting with one guy touching from each unit.

9. I'm not a big fan of the improved monster reaction chart. No bad ones on left. The monsters get nastier after you kill their rider?

10. Adding the BSB bonus in combat, love it.

11. Table quarters requiring US 5 was a long time coming.

12. Passing on your psych to your mounts, not a big fan of this, but I'll live.

13. Maximize models on both sides when charging was greatly needed. Thank you GW.

14. New building rules. I haven't tried them yet, but they sound really good. This may change after I try them out. But I don't think so. They seem straight forward and easy to use.

The rest of the changes I am luke warm on, though with a tendency to like most of them.

Overall, I give the new rules an A- for intent and a B for how they were delivered. I love most of the intent of the rules. But just the Enenmy in the Way rule and the turn to reform rule after you win combat are written so badly that it drops it to a B. If they come out with some errata on this, I think as a whole the new edition will be much, much better overall.

I look forward to many years of playing 7th ed, until 8th edition comes out. ;-)

Ben

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with almost everything you said - one thing though: some of the new spells are SO killer that I'm actually trembling to might a HE seer council now!
Pit of Shades, that Metal spell that drops on average 6 knights, etc. are just some spells that are way too good if you can choose to have them.

Will be intresting to see if HE will loose seer once they're redone ...

Cheers, Mutter

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ew, that should have been: 'meet a seer council' ... :)

Cheers, Mutter

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home