Thursday, December 14, 2006

Battle Report Beastmen Vs Empire part II

Couple of corrections from yesterday's report.
1. The Elector count was carrying the sword of Battle and the Silver Horn.
2. The wizard had the doomfire ring.
3. The unit of Swordsmen with 1 detachment of handgunners were spearmen as well.
(I have his list today.)

When I left off yesterday his free company had just broken some hounds, but I made all my panic tests and was now in great shape.


Turn 3a: I had several charges.
The first was my furies into his mortar.
The hounds into the detachment of halbadiers.
The chariot into the knights fighting the spawn.
Ratspawn and bodyguard into the flank of the free company.
Rat Ogres to the left of Ratspawn charge the cannon on the hill.
The beastherd on the far left and lone Rat Ogre into the leadbelchers.

Slightly surprised he held with everyone. But the cannon fail their fear test and run for the hills. I hit the cannon and destroy it.
The hounds in the center rallied, but the ones on the far left, failed their Ld 9 rally and headed for the table edge. They ran right through the beastherd, who made a scarry Ld 7 panic test and finished between the knights and the lone Rat Ogre.
Everyone makes their charges, but when the Rat Ogre charges the leadbelchers, he has to go around the hounds and so only 4 from the beastherd get into combat, so no ranks.
Magic does nothing.

In combat, the furies kill 1, lose 1, win combat by 1, he autobreaks and I chase him down. The furies end up right behind the hand gunners and right by the lone wizard who is very nervous right now.

The hounds kill 2 halbadiers while losing none in return and the halbadiers break and run and are run down.

On the far left the Rat Ogre does 2 wounds to the Lead belchers. Then with 9 more attacks ranging from strength 3 to 5 I do none. He swings back with 9 attacks and does only 2 wounds himself, one on the shaman. Unit strength and banner let me win by 2, he breaks and gets away even though the Rat Ogre chased 3d6". I rolled an 8" pursuit to his 11" flee.

The chariot hits the knights. I roll a 1 for impact hits, so 2 hits. Then 3 str 5 attacks and a str 4 attack and I do a total of 1 wound. He does a wound to the spawn and wins combat by 3. The chariot breaks and runs.

In the big combat Ratspawn and body guards kill off around 8 free company with their 15 attacks needing 3's to hit and 2's to wound. It was a bloody mess. As they auto-break and run, (well, they got 2 shots at rolling snake eyes at least) they are immediately cut down. Looks like the spearmen with BSB are next on the snack table. This is too much for them and they run for the hills as well, leaving the small unit of hand gunners to hold the right flank.

Turn 3b:


This is what it looked like after that mess of attacks.

He charges the knights on the left flank into the fleeing hounds who run 14" and get away. They will fail to rally and run off the board.
The big block of spearmen charge my Rat Ogres on the hill.
Then another big blow, the Lead Belchers decide no amount of money or food is worth this mess and head off the board.

The flagelants move up.
The wizard tries to hide behind the hand gunners away from the furies.
The hand gunners on the hill let loose into Ratspawns bodyguard causing 5 wounds on 10 shots, knocking his unit down to him, a wounded standard bearer and his champion.
The smaller unit of hand gunners shoots at the chariot on the hill and wounds it.

In combat, again the knights fail to wound the spawn who also does nothing to them.
The spearmen and fire wizard who charged does 0 wounds to my Rat Ogres!! Then with 12 attacks back I do 2 wounds to the wizard and another 6 spearmen die.
So I have 8 to his 6. (3 ranks, US, banner, Temple structure) But he holds.

Turn 4a:


At the end of turn 4, I'm feeling pretty good, but some good things still need to happen.
Charges:
Furies into the rear of the hand gunners.
2 Rat Ogres that took out cannon into the flank of the hand gunners.

My fleeing chariot rallies.
Ratspawn turns around to face the middle.
The chariot and herd move to go after the knights on the far left.
The herd and rat ogres move to surround the flagellants on the right.

Magic: I finally do something and kill a knight out of the small unit with wind of death. Whoohoo.

In combat I do the Rat Ogres on the small hand gunners. Kill several, they break and are run down.
I play the furies next. I kill 3 and he whiffs, breaks and is cut down.
In my pursuit, I miss the wizard, but with a big 7" pursuit on 3d6", (he fled 2") I miss the rear of the spearmen by 1". Ouch.

In that combat he does 2 wounds, so only get 9 attacks back and do 5 wounds. So my 5 to his 7 and he wins by 2. I manage to hold.

Then in the spawn combat, his knights get hot and do 2 wounds to the spawn and kill it off. FINALLY!!

Turn 4b:


The Empire player knows he needs to do something to salvage part of this game.

Charges: Knights into the flank of the Rat Ogres, fighting the spearmen.

His other knights move well down the left flank and into my deployment zone.

His charge is devastating, killing all but 1 Rat Ogre, who drags down a couple spearmen before he breaks and runs.
Because his spearmen block his pursuit with his knights, he pursues with both but things get bottle necked on the hill with the spearmen ending up in front of the knights on the hill.

Turn 5a:


Things are looking great for Ratspawn.

But I'm not ready to lay the final killing blow just yet.
The furies do charge the wizard and kill him.

I move everyone up and surround his troops. With the spearmen in front of the knights he cannot charge.
I turn my hounds around (finally) to face the rear flank of the flagelants.

In magic I get off the beasts cower spell on his big knights, so he cannot move them even if he wanted to. So they are stuck.

No hand to hand besides the furies and wizard.

Turn 5b:


He moves his spearmen up about 3" and that is all he can do.
No wizards for any magic and cannot dispel the spell on the knights.
No shooting, no hand to hand.

Turn 6a: No picture here, but it is the same basically as the previous with the only difference being the spearmen are moved up 3" to claim the hill.

Charges: Time for the hammer to fall.
Ratspawn and chariot into the spearmen.
2 Rat Ogres defacating on the temple structure into the flank of the knights.
Chariot into the flank of the knights.
Rat Ogres and chaos hounds into the flagellants.

Herd moves into the boulders.
Furies fly back to land on the objective in my terrotory, hounds hold the other one.

I get off beast cowers again on the knights, so the horses cannot fight this round of combat.
And I get off wind of death on the other 4 knights and kill 2. He makes his panic test.

I do Ratspawns combat first. With their 12 attacks and chariot hits, we kill off all but 3 of the spearmen who auto-break and are cut down. Both Ratspawn and chariot overrun into the front of the knights.

Then we do the knights combat.
Ratspawn challenges and the Elector count accepts.
The 2 chariot impact hits, kill several.

In the challenge, I get 4 hits and 3 wounds on the Elector count. He laughs at this as he has a 1+ armor save. Modified to 3+, he fails 1 of the 3. Then he finds out about the Hellfire sword. He takes 2 more wounds from the hellfire with no armor saves and goes up in a puff of smoke.

When the smoke cleared there were only 3 knights left. Outnumbered badly by fear causers and having lost by a ton, he rolls the snake eyes and stays with insane courage when no one else in their right mind would.

In the other combat, the Rat Ogres kill 6 flagelants on the charge and the hounds in a historic effort drag down 3 of their own on 5 attacks. WOW!! The flagellants whiff but are unbreakable.

Turn 6b:


Well at this point its all over but the crying. Ignore the knights on his board edge, those are part of the dead pile.

In combat, Ratspawn challenges again and his champion accepts. Again only 1 wound makes it through the armor, but the hell fire sword lights him up for 6!!! more wounds!!! Damn I love this thing. So I get the kill and get full overkill bonus.

Not really needed as the Rat Ogres hack down the other 2 remaining knights.

The hounds drag down 2 more flagellants, who manage to kill 2 hounds and do a wound to the Rat Ogres before they chop down 6 more leaving only 3 left alive.

Here is the battlefield at the end of the game:


The flagellants would never flee so they would have died miserably afterwards. Leaving only the 2 lone knights far away to run and hopefully report back to the Empire lines of Ratspawn.

He Cannot be Stopped. He is a god Reincarnated on the Old World. He shall Inherit!!

Hope you enjoyed it. Final thoughts later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looked like you were going to win from the first half, congrats on making it come out that way.
A few tactical questions, some spawned by positioning:
1. Any idea why he charged the free company out at your warhounds? It seemed to expose him badly while gaining nothing.
2. Could those free company have fled the subsequent flank charge and left you hanging for a counter-charge? (or even flank charge)
3. When the lone rat ogre charged the leadbelchers, I don't understand why that restricted beast herd contact. Isn't the rat ogre required go corner to corner and let 5 gors in?
4. Why did you charge a chariot into the engaged knights?
5. Why did you deploy your BSB way out on the right?

8:08 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Ok, let me see if I can answer these. Remember any questions regarding my opponent are simply guesses.

1. I think the idea was if he could get enough of an overrun afterwards he would have overrun and hit my 2 rat ogres and save the cannon. Also possibly cause enough panic to screw me up. He was also hoping for the cannon ball to hit Ratspawn and go through the next Ratogre and cause a panic test. But he overshot ratspawn and hit just the one in the back.

2. If he fled he would have had to flee 12" to get away. So he stayed. I really expected to flee that one. But even with the flee I think I end up hitting the spearmen in the back anyway.
Charging with the free company wasn't that bad, but he needed to back up his spearmen 2" which he didn't do.

3. I declared him first. Because the hounds were in his path, he had to spin/wheel slightly to avoid the hounds. This put him enough to the right to prevent no more than 4 Gors to get in. Does that make sense? I couldn't hit and then slide.

4. I had 2 goals. Either I charge in and do some great impact hits, then 3 more strength 5 attacks I might kill 4 and win combat. Then he would be in really bad shape with that unit. And if he broke, game was over. That was a stretch.
2nd goal was to kill 2-3 and break the rank and make the unit a lot smaller. I figured the spawn would hold them up, so I wasn't worried about the chariot breaking and running. Which it did. 1 wound was less than I was hoping for, but it did break his rank. Turned out to not matter later.

5. Total brain fart on my side. First time I ever ran the BSB. I always ran a wargor in a herd. And usually put my herd on the flanks. I just plopped them down without thinking and later thought. He needs to be in the thick of things.

He also had the Banner of Wrath so I was shooting it every turn, but trying to keep it out of combat. I really wanted to run them in the woods but could never get them over to it. So they ended up skirting the board edge.
Just played him really bad. Probably my last time to bring a BSB. Just don't like his build and the threat of him dieing really easily.

Hope that answers most of your questions.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarifications Ben. I'm always curious about the full tactical positioning and no picture (nor diagram) can fully convey that.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home