Thursday, September 14, 2006

BR Summary Beasts vs Chaos

I failed to give a final wrapup Summary of what I felt worked well and didn't work well in my last Battle Report. So let me give these final thoughts.

This game came down to a few dice rolls. I felt the armies were evenly matched and my sons playing skills have improved so much, he is a very tough fight for me. The last 3 times we have played he has had me on the ropes only for me to reach out and snatch victory right out from underneath him.

But there were a few things both of us could have done better.
1. On turn 1, I should have moved my beastherd completely in the woods to avoid the quick spawn.
2. My son made several great charges on turn 2 that really turned the game in his favor early.
a. His spawn into the lone stragling ungor out of the woods.
b. His general out of his chosen to kill the spawn and attempt to overrun into the herd for another lovely 6 attacks. But dice roll kill #1, he falls 1" short.
c. His chariot around to my spawn. I didn't think he could make it. But after close examination and measurement, it was still iffy. So we rolled off and he won. This should have killed the spawn and then an easy overrun into a rat Ogre unit. But with the hounds only fleeing 4" or so, the 2nd chariot moved its full 14" running over the hounds and panicking my chariot, but also got in the way of his other chariot's overrun.
d. Then the Dragon Ogres into the spawn and then a great dice roll that landed them into some Rat Ogres, wiping them out and overrunning.

He also made a few mistakes. His chosen knights had broken the Rat Ogres and they probably would have fled off the board. It was better to restrain there and keep them in the fight. They never really got back in until I tossed them the beastherd at the end, and I didn't have to do that. So this hammer unit of well over 200 points took out a 138 point unit. And that was it.

His marauders charging my 4 Rat Ogres was a huge mistake. They were just slaughtered.

I felt his fast cav had ways to get away from the chariot trying to charge him at the end of the game, but he just danced around with it and was eventually destroyed.

His Daemonette riders took the long charge at the further chariot instead of taking the easier one at the closer chariot. This came up short and then both chariots hit him on the next turn.

But the real dice roll to determine the game came down to several:
1. The 2nd chariot failed a ld 8 fear test and its re-roll. So only 1 chariot hit my big General's unit.
2. His 1st chariot only does 1 impact hit to me.
3. I need a 7 to not break and I roll it.

I actually played that really bad. I don't think I could have set it up with both units in front of me without the chosen knights having a shot at my rear flank. But if I had charged the beastherd and they fled, then I would have only faced the 2 chariots in the rear, so still no bonus for him, but 4 models of mine, + US + banner. So I may not have won, but was probably my best option. And if the 2nd chariot fails its fear test as it did, then I probably win that combat.
What I did was probably the worst option, and I got lucky.

Overall a hard fought battle that could have gone either way. The newer 7th edition rules didn't play much a part of it, except when my chariot fled through my own unit mowing down a bunch of ungor/packmasters.


Thanks again for reading it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really appreciate the sum up. Sometimes a battle report can be hard to get a mental grasp of what decisions are being made and why, like watching a master chess player. your appraisal of what happened and why allowed me to look over the BR with new eyes and see what you were talking about. thanks

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here - thanks for the extra effort, Ben.

Cheers, Mutter

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home