Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Musings for my next army

I know, I know. I'm not even done painting my Rat Ogre army. And it is coming along nicely. I finished up painting another Rat Ogre just last night. So 10 down and 10 more to go.

But already laying plans for my next army and starting to buy the figs. I'll keep the figs part a secret for right now, just suffice it to say, when I put it on the field of battle, I think it will look truely awesome. If only my paint jobs could do the models justice.

But I've been playing a lot of power armies through my GT career. Mainly Skaven and Sylvania. Plan on next year running my Beastman Rat Ogre army. According to the new UK power armies ranking Skaven fall in the class A (strongest) and Sylvania and Beasties fall into the class B.

I have played and won with much weaker armies in the past and feel I can do so again. So my army I'm looking at running in 2 years is a Cult of Ulric army. This is rated as a class D. The ratings only go to E which is reserved for Dogs of War and Dark Elves.

The full list looked like this:
BAND A
Skaven
Vampire Counts
Bretonnians
Lizardmen

BAND B
Hordes of Chaos
Beasts of Chaos
Daemonic Legion
Lahmian Vampire Counts
Wood Elves
Army of Sylvania
Errantry War
High Elf Sea Patrol

BAND C
Empire
High Elves
Orcs & Goblins
Slayer Host
Dwarfs
Ogre Kingdoms
Tomb Kings

BAND D
Grimgor's 'Ardboyz
Archaon's Horde
Cult of Slaanesh
Clan Eshin
Army of Middenland
Cult of Ulric

BAND E
Dark Elves
Dogs of War
Kislev

Anyway, I didn't pick CoU because it rated low, but actually picked this some 3 months ago, long before this list came out. It actually fits the miniatures I want to use. Hint: They are not GW minis. This will be my first complete army without a GW miniature in it.

The list I was considering would look something like this:
Grandmaster
3 Priests, 1 a BSB
6 units of 5 White Wolf knights with full commands. 1 is Inner Circle.
6 units of 4 hunting hounds with a hunt master
2 DoW unit of 5 light cavalry with bows.

That would be the entire army. Add on a few magic items on the characters and a couple of magic banners and we hit 2250 pretty quick.
Total of 74 models.
2 power dice, but no spells. Just the 3 prayers.
5 dispel dice, a couple of shards and 3-4 emblems.
The 2 DoW units were the latest edition to it, mainly because it fits the theme of the army so well. Trust me you will know what I mean when I'm ready to unvail it.

This would be a very fast, encircle you and try to hit you hard in the flanks type of army.
For those who want to say I'm only taking this list to take advantage of the newer 7th ed rules. I had 90% of this list made out last March, long before I knew any of the 7th ed rules.

Anyway, I'd be real interested on your comments. What do you think of the army? Do you think you could run it over pretty easily? I don't see it as a 1 trick pony show either. I've been working on tactics and stratagies with this army that I think could do really, really well against most armies.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going the defensive magic route, more dispel than power, seems like a very good path to take with the new miscast table. I always considered priests prayers to be pretty effective, and being an undead player have seen them wreck havoc on my shambling hordes. I'm leery of the small unit cav because of combat res, but if you are getting hit on both flanks and the rear I doubt you'll see trouble with it....very very interesting

9:45 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I think it has real possibilities. half the army is armor 2+. 8 fast cav units is a lot of fleeing, rally, move around.
I actually just added the DoW light cav archers because of the new rule, where they can flee, rally, move and shoot. So I am guilty of building to the new 7th ed. with that one.
I'm hoping to try it out with a proxied army soon.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, my only 3 armies are in the top 4 and I didn't even expected this when I bought them !

Strange, so far I had imagined Cult of Ulric army as a semi-horde of infantry with lot of small units and skirmishers.
With the new set of rules, your army is probably going to do well. I'd probably have added some of the S5 stubborn skirmishers to lock a unit from the flank but they'd be too slow compared to the rest of the army.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, where did you locate these UK power army rankings?

1:49 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Sorry, foot troops don't make the cut. Doesn't fit the theme. All will reveal itself in time.

As for the rankings, I got these from Rick Thompson who pasted them on the DAWGS board. I don't have an official site that is showing this.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home